TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Exhaust headers for a pre 71' 232

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust headers for a pre 71' 232
    Posted: Aug/24/2014 at 8:31pm
Hi Gang,

The question is where can I find exhaust headers? Everything I find is for the 72' and later or the shorties for the Jeep. the 72' and later I do not believe will clear the starter motor, and the shorties will have the pipes so close to the starter that it will fry it.  Any body know of a set out there for the earlier six?  Anybody got a set they are wanting to part with?

Marc

Invest in rare metals, buy a AMC
74' Matador Coupe
06' MINI Cooper
14' Nissan Versa Sedan
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2014 at 8:56pm
We put a set of cliffords on a 65 232 and had to use a 69 autolite starter.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
67RebelNoob View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67RebelNoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 1:30pm
I've got an early style header that I might be willing to part with-PM me if you are interested
67 Rebel 232 auto
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 8:51am
The issue with the 72+ header is starter clearance. You can modify the 72+ header by making a small cut near the flange then welding. It doesn't take much -- just a hacksaw blade width maybe enough. Cut about 3/4 of the way through then bend the collector out. That small 1/16" cut will move the collector out 3/4" to 1". Try the single cut first. Don't have to weld, just bolt on after bending. If you need more grind out with a cut-off wheel until it clears, then weld.

Alternately, you can use a smaller starter. If you have a manual trans you can use a 4.0L flywheel and starter. The offset of the teeth on the flywheel is different for the 4.0L -- can't use that starter with the old flywheel. It might work for a little while, but when the teeth get some wear it will stop working. The Autolite starter recommended by Keith might be the best bet.
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 4:31pm
How can you use a 4.0 starter on a pre 71 6? Upside down?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 1:27pm
I haven't done it. It might not work on the pre 72 models. I haven't had a pre 72 six in so long I have forgot the exact position the starter is in. So it might not work at all -- from your msg I'd say not...
Frank Swygert
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2014 at 9:39am
You'd need both to compare.
It is possible it will work, but I highly doubt it.

You're looking for extension of the pinion and retraction to match, plus bolt holes.
That's a lot to ask for with a gap from 72-87ish. Worth a look though, why not?

You could also check with Bulltear or one o fthe other mini starter makers to see how close they might be to working?

I did mock a 91-99 Jeeo 4.0L head and exhaust to a 69 and the only thing that hit is the starter stud, you could dent the tube, or figure out how to rotate the housing or find a Motorcraft or autolite that has the flat bar out the front with the small bolt.

If you are staying with a 258 head you can find a rusty Jeep six header and swap the flanges, just cut the tubes out about an inch from the head on both. My brother did this to put a 351W in an 80 Mustang and the welder only charged him $30 to do the whole job.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic