TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Source for trans pan on '85 Eagle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SensibleSpectaculars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Source for trans pan on '85 Eagle?
    Posted: Aug/17/2014 at 4:37pm
This is for automatic tranny - I've been fighting chronic leaks around the pan for some time. It still leaks around the edges even after installing the new-type reusable gasket from Mopar, so I'm figuring replacing the pan itself is probably the next step. Aside from a Chrysler/Jeep dealer, anyone know of a good place online to order a replacement pan?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2014 at 4:47pm
904-998 TF are the same. If you are having leaks with the reuseable gasket, you may be having leaks elsewhere.    If you want another pan, Id go to an mom & pop transmission shop they ought to have one.....
SensibleSpectaculars View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SensibleSpectaculars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2014 at 8:30am
It sure seems like the leaks are from around the pan, though I suppose it is possible that it's dripping from someplace above and just appears to be coming from the pan lip. (The whole car is so dirty and greasy underneath that it's tough to tell.)

Most of the fluid loss takes place while the car is just sitting, not when it's being driven. Check fluid after taking a drive and it's OK. Then if the car sits for a week or two (it's an occasional-use vehicle) the fluid is low and there's a puddle underneath.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2014 at 11:55pm
oring on the dipstick tube, trans line fittings, seals on the valvebody linkages, and the pivot for the rear band are common sources.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SensibleSpectaculars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2014 at 9:28am
Originally posted by carnuck carnuck wrote:

oring on the dipstick tube, trans line fittings, seals on the valvebody linkages, and the pivot for the rear band are common sources.

Thanks, I'll take a look at those, though I'm actually hoping it's the pan since that's the only thing that's reasonably easy to get to under there.

It's kind of an odd problem due to the amount of time it takes for the leakage to take place. If I drive the car someplace and park it to say go shopping, everything is fine when I get back to it. It's not until the car is back home and sitting for at least several days that I find the fluid has leaked out.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2014 at 1:20am
That usually means the fluid in the torque converter loses it's "seal" and it "overfills" the bottom of the trans, allowing oil to weep out of the shift selector shaft seals and/or dipstick oring.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-put-water-into-an-upside-down-cup/
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SensibleSpectaculars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2014 at 8:02pm
Here's a followup in case it helps anyone else...

Upon careful examination underneath the car it looked like the trans fluid was definitely leaking from the pan lip, mainly the front corners.  There was no indication of fluid dripping down from above. Also when the front of the car was up on stands the leak would stop.

So I installed a new pan from moparpartssource.com. (I already had the new-style reusable pan gasket purchased at a Jeep dealer.)  It's been dry as a bone underneath with the new pan, no more fluid loss.

So it looks like I lucked out on this one. Tongue  Most other potential leak sources would have been a lot tougher to deal with.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic