TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

OIL PAN PLUMBING

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2014 at 11:40am
Canton pan is only a bit wider than stock, but their external pickup is in a lousy spot and the drain plug is in the back so can be tough to access if you have a block plate.

Don't know about the Milodon pan fit with headers, but it's shallow for good ground clearance but wide ... assuming you're considering their road-race pan and not their deep-sump pan? Both Canton and Milodon square off the front sloped portion of the stock pan, so may fit easier when installing than the Aviaid, but loses a bit of capacity?

Lots get by with a stock pan with 6 quarts ... but to me a better pan just makes sense if you're reving faster than stock 5000rpm redline, driving hard or racing.   To me the Aviaid or Armando pans have the best design as they have a scraper on the side, a windage tray over the sump, a balanced trap door sump position - centred, so not biased toward braking at the front (Canton) or acceleration at the rear (Milodon).   Also has the most capacity and deepest trap door area.

If you remove the 2 studs and 2 nuts for the crossmember, not hard to block it down a bit to gain a bit of installation clearance, so a better plan than compromising the pan.

If you have the headers, just mock-up to the block and make a cardboard template of the pan sump and fit to the stock pan to check.   Armando pan is 8 1/4" deep x 12" wide x 10" lg. The right side is notched for starter clearance. Below compares stock to Armando.

Hope this helps,RD.

Edited by Red Devil - Aug/14/2014 at 2:06pm
sasyamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasyamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2014 at 4:59pm
That dose looks nice , thanks
sasyamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasyamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2014 at 8:09pm
Talk to Armando today , he said that he could make the pan 10.5 w if i need to for no extra cost .
sasyamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasyamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2014 at 5:19pm
Just got my new pan in
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2014 at 10:18am
Looks good. Thanks for posting. Assume that's the 10.5" wide version? If you get a chance, please fill it to the top of the tray and measure how many quarts it holds. A picture from the top with the tray removed and the dimensions of the trap door area (length, width, depth) would be appreciated.

Thanks,RD.
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2014 at 10:42am

That's a nice pan, very reminiscent of my early Aviad pan, unfortunately I couldn't use it with the "headers by Ed". I believe the boss on the drivers side was used to drain the valve covers originally? 

SKeown
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2014 at 11:33am
Pretty sure boss on driver's side is for a temperature pickup? If Armando custom builds a narrower pan, maybe it would fit vs. the standard pan(standard is 12" wide)?

Not sure what the best location is for drain lines and if they should be above (for venting/pressure balance) or below (for true drain) the oil level in the sump?
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2014 at 11:50am

The headers were designed for a tight fit to a stock pan, even lengthening the sump required forming the pan to clear.  
sasyamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasyamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2014 at 7:50pm
I be running doug 1-3/4 tube ,d103, hope they fit with the 10.5 pan 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic