TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 AMX brake line

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 AMX brake line
    Posted: Aug/05/2014 at 12:41pm
The PO of my 68 AMX started a front disc brake system overhaul. I got it with new rotors installed, new master cylinder mounted, new brake pads, new hoses (driver side installed). It is missing the short 3/16" brake line that goes from the master cylinder to the front disc brake line fitting (3-way-tee) below the vacuum booster mounted on the fender well. What are the sizes of the brake line nuts. I'm thinking 3/8" nut at the tee, and 7/16" or 1/2" at the master cylinder?

I have a tube flaring tool kit that makes single flares. Should this brake line be double flared?
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2014 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

The PO of my 68 AMX started a front disc brake system overhaul. I got it with new rotors installed, new master cylinder mounted, new brake pads, new hoses (driver side installed). It is missing the short 3/16" brake line that goes from the master cylinder to the front disc brake line fitting (3-way-tee) below the vacuum booster mounted on the fender well. What are the sizes of the brake line nuts. I'm thinking 3/8" nut at the tee, and 7/16" or 1/2" at the master cylinder?

I have a tube flaring tool kit that makes single flares. Should this brake line be double flared?

Without checking I'm really not sure of the size tube nuts you need, but I will tell you 100% for sure, you need to use double flares when you make your brake lines!!!!! 

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2014 at 1:52pm
American Parts Depot has the correct sized nuts for the lines at the Master. I would guess others do too. Sorry can't help with what exact size they are the car is at home and I'm not.
The nuts at the brass tee are standard size that normally come with a new line. They are the short version though, not the long version which is often on the new line too.

About the double flare, if they aren't double flared you will experience a disaster. Get them double flared correctly with a brake flaring tool. Double Flare is mandatory. Caution, not all brake flaring tools are created equal. The cheap ones often do not get the job done correctly.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2014 at 4:45pm
Thank you for the warning. About 12 years ago, I got a bunch of tools from a shop that went out of business. This single flare tool is one of them. Evidently it was used for low pressure carb fuel lines?

A few minutes ago, I ordered the front disc brake line kit from American Parts Depot along with a new three-way-tee. The AMX sat two years with one front brake hose off, and the hard lines not connected at the new master cylinder. Fortunately the master cylinder still had the plastic plugs in it.

There is an article titled "How to Single Flare Brake Lines" at eHow. The sponsored link: NAPA Auto Repair. They give a warning to make sure the flare is of a uniform thickness. This eHow article should be deleted.
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2014 at 5:54pm
A couple of years ago, I got on the kick of building a cheap Lotus 7 type sports car and bought a couple of books. One of them is the "bible" on these cars from a British publisher. They use flared COPPER brake lines!!!

White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2014 at 7:04pm
All I know is that everyone I've seen do brake lines and everywhere I've ever been doing brakes lines out of metal tube, it's always been the double flare.
NAPA article may be about that crazy metric or a bubble flare.
I don't know about you, but I'm not making my brake lines out of copper nor will they ever be single flare.
I've yet to see a race car's brakes done with single flare too.
Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2014 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Rogue401 Rogue401 wrote:

A couple of years ago, I got on the kick of building a cheap Lotus 7 type sports car and bought a couple of books. One of them is the "bible" on these cars from a British publisher. They use flared COPPER brake lines!!!

In the United Kingdom a copper nickel alloy brake line is very popular. It is called cunifer. It does not work harden. Volvo, Aston Martin, Porsche, Audi use a copper/nickel alloy brake line. Here in the USA it is approved by the DOT. NAPA sells cunifer brake line and it is called EZ Bend. As with all brake line it is important to support it properly. I have owned six classic UK cars.
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2014 at 8:35pm
I use the NAPA steel lines with the dark green coating. Seems very easy to work with and doesn't rust on a DD. I did ask about the EZ Bend and I think it only comes in large rolls. Would probably be a good investment though.

I've always had trouble getting good double flares with the standard NAPA double flare tools and finally invested in the Eastwood Double Flaring Tool. It's on sale sometimes for less than $200. It makes great flares the first time and takes the stress out of doing it for me.
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2014 at 9:04pm
I believe Fine Lines will sell individual front lines, ready to install.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
johne View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2014 at 9:18am
Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

Originally posted by Rogue401 Rogue401 wrote:

In the United Kingdom a copper nickel alloy brake line is very popular. It is called cunifer. It does not work harden. Volvo, Aston Martin, Porsche, Audi use a copper/nickel alloy brake line. Here in the USA it is approved by the DOT. NAPA sells cunifer brake line and it is called EZ Bend. As with all brake line it is important to support it properly. I have owned six classic UK cars.

I've used cunifer on almost all the brake lines on my Rebel - but with double flared ends of course.  I know it's not well thought of in the US in general, but take it from me with 30+ years of driving a messing around with old cars, it does work.  (I am in the UK) 

BTW Kudos to AMFSTBK390 - I guess I'm the UK equivalent of you - I have 3 US classics in the UK!
67 Rebel SST convertible (parts car) RHD
68 Rebel SST convertible RHD
56 Chevy 210 (Long term project)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic