TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Problem installing control arms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem installing control arms
    Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 12:34pm
Just replaced the upper control arm bushings with polyurethanes and I am struggling to push the control arm in enough to get a bolt through. I'm afraid if I push on it any harder the body will fall off the jack stands. Am I missing something simple? I realize it's supposed to be a tight squeeze, that's the point of replacing the bushings, but I tried everything I could think of for 30 minutes last night. 
1974 Javelin 258, getting there!

2006 Mustang 4.0 V6
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 1:16pm
I think I might be getting some form of vernier out and checking the measurements of your aftermarket urethane bushings to see if they are too wide?
It of course sounds like they are, but then again ?
How wide is too wide?
If you can not get things to go together by pushing that is what dead blow hammers are for.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
RovDyr71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RovDyr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2014 at 9:18am
I had the exact same problem with poly's on the upper control arm.

This is what I did:

- Grease the 'path' to the mount location (remove grease afterwards, if you have enough of the poly-mounting-lube, then use that).
- Find a wooden 1/2"-ish stick (or something that can in the tight place, that won't break itself and won't scar the bushing-housing).
- Place stick on the bushing-housing at one side, hammer a bit (lightly) on the stick with a plastic hammer, then the other side, then back to the first side again and repeat until you drive it home...

You get the idea...
AMC Javelin SST '71
360-4V-M-11B
1974Javelin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2014 at 6:26pm
Tried the grease and hammer method. I got one side on barely and the other needs 1/8 of an inch more give. I left it in place hoping that the bushings might compress some for a little more give. It also took more than hammering "lightly" with the rubber mallet and stick to budge it. I'm using prothane kit 1-2011 if that helps any.
1974 Javelin 258, getting there!

2006 Mustang 4.0 V6
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2014 at 7:38pm
If you stop and think about things a abit, when you install those bushing and wrench the bolt down that clamps everything in place, it put more than quite a bit of pressure on things, and for all consideration, clamps the OEM bushings tight enough where they are not going to twist in place.  Tapping lightly is not a term I would use to describe things.  While I would not install polyurethane bushings into the control arms, I have installed more than a dozen or so OEM ones and I would take a dead blow and whale the tar out of things to get them back where they belong.
Just saying.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2014 at 8:59pm
On mine the left side was very snug and the right side would not go in without grinding a little from the bushing. I figured that the factory used rubber which is more forgiving and that over the last 45+ years the pocket in the frame compressed a little. As long as the finished product is snug it is good to go.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
RovDyr71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RovDyr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2014 at 4:27am
Quote I left it in place hoping that the bushings might compress some for a little more give.

I did something like this on lower control arms... Stuff was even tighter than on the upper arms on my car... But I took the whole lower arm, with the bushing installed and clammed on both ends of the bushings for a couple of days... It did help a bit, but it was still tight and I had to hammer pretty violently.

Quote I'm using prothane kit 1-2011 if that helps any.

I using that too... Or was it 1-2012?... Anyway same brand, same material.
AMC Javelin SST '71
360-4V-M-11B
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2014 at 5:56pm
Not sure what you are working on, but you can use a piece of allthread and a couple of nuts and washers and just spread the mounting point a bit where the bolt goes through the chassis.

Dennis
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic