TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX drum brake question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 10:01am
AH!
I have a cross member for a later Javelin,  but it seems to me that even a Hornet one which is narrower, is still to wide.  But then again I could be wrong on that too.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 11:13am
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

Dredging information from memory it seems to me that the "Up to" 69 Javelin and AMX had a lot in common with the Rambler American underpinning so being narrow, the front cross member would be common to the the Rambler American rather than one from any Ambassador or Rebel. 

Javelin and AMC have a different crossmember than the American. While they do share many mechanical parts, the body parts are mostly different (rocker panels are shared with 2 door Americans, not sure if anything else is shared).

It shouldn't be too hard to scare up a correct crossmember for your car. Check with American Parts Depot and South Texas AMC. Both have their own salvage yards and can likely sell you a crossmember.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
cadiac View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 1:46pm
Lucky++ they bolted plates on the amc mounts for the chev mounts to sit on. No hacking done, installation is clean. 350 is tired -I got sick of seeing Chevy's in  so many cars years ago. I have a Chev Caprice HiPo car for a driver and a 3/4 suburban for a trailer puller (Cadillac 472 power) LOL. A chevy belongs in a chevy. Now an AMC would be different in a Chev?? Some folks get PO"d when the see something other than a Chev eng. in a Chevy. The OD trans sounds good.
69amxman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69amxman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 10:20pm
That "A" name is probably aerospace , which I have on my 69 amx , absolutely love , very easy install and mounted on stock drum spindles iam using their proportion adjustable valve as we'll.
cadiac View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2014 at 3:38pm
69amxman-- You say A Name -aerospace ? What are you referring to/post? When I was seriously searching the web for 9" drums, I eventually had to stop selecting AMX and select just rambler to come up with 9"ers. Only 1-2 places made reference to an Amx with 9" drums, more than 1 place asked if it was a 6 cyl car. lol Looking for 65 Ambo stuff when i need something specific for a 287 I have to select the Classic as sites show Ambo's as having a 6 or 327. ?? The place I bought hoses from said the Amx uses "4" brake hoses?? I ordered 2 for the front- 1 for rear and 4 showed up??? By selecting 1 I guess I selected 1 pair? Easier to save it than return.
69amxman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69amxman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2014 at 9:21pm
Iam sorry was just commenting from fuzz face 2 post, about the disk brake converting from drum brakes, he mention the name that starts with A and couldn't remember the name , sorry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic