TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Easy 1 wire alternator swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2014 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

For those determined to go 1 wire search CS130 1 wire and they are available. Apparently they have changed the voltage regulator inside or you can DIY. 

Like the 1 wire SI10/SI12 ALT the CS130 ALT works the same way. If you don't use a ALT light you have to get the RPM up before the ALT will start to charge. Check the WEB on this and what the 4 pins pin out to, IIRC you only need to use 3 of them.

I just found this out on my street car ( above SI10 ALT) as I installed a custom dash/gauges and don't remember hooking the ALT light back up. I saw this when I went to move the car and saw the volts low. When I went to pull it back in the garage a thru some RPM at it and it started to charge.

My drag car using the stock ALT is the same way as I did not wire in a light, I will some day on both cars, so till I make a pass it will not charge.

So just about any ALT can be a 1 wire but will not charge till it sees higher RPM.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2014 at 10:57am
To answer dbomb's original question, the Powermaster upgrade offered by Matt is the only one so far that fits the bill. I see it at Summit for about $165.

I like to cruise the junkyards for those kind of parts and for less than $30, 1 hacksaw cut and maybe a pulley swap, I can get a 100+ amp CS130 that will bolt right in to replace an early Prestolite or Motorola. In the link below I think it shows how it can be wired and that too is quite easy.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cs130+alternator+wiring&rlz=1C1CHMO_enCA555CA555&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LufkU6ODLpCGogSMp4LIDw&ved=0CBsQsAQ&biw=994&bih=458

Dave, the way you describe it you have  neither 1 wire nor 3 wire. You shouldn't have to rev your car way up to get it to charge. The way I heard it from a hot rod guy the 1 wire type puts out a steady 13.5 V and you don't have to rev it up for it to kick in.  
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2014 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by KermitDRambler KermitDRambler wrote:

PowerMaster makes an alternator based on the Delco 10si that has the same width pivot boss as a Motorola alternator. You can either wire it up 1-wire (bad for a street car) or a 3 wire. I had one on the 68 American I used to have and it worked great.

Matt

I have had the powermaster 140 AMP one wire and it works AWESOME. It comes with a tag that shows the RPM and AMP output tested for that particular alternator and can be wired like the factory or 1 wire. I chose the 1 wire because it was so easy and want to preserve my original Votage regulator by keeping it disconnected. With the 1 wire you just blip the throttle to 1400 RPM on initial start ups and it starts charging and keeps charging at all RPM until you turn off the ignition again. Its been VERY reliable and fit very well. No one is going to notice/care its not an original alternator unless you are at a pebble beach concourse judged show anyway.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2014 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

To answer dbomb's original question, the Powermaster upgrade offered by Matt is the only one so far that fits the bill. I see it at Summit for about $165.

I like to cruise the junkyards for those kind of parts and for less than $30, 1 hacksaw cut and maybe a pulley swap, I can get a 100+ amp CS130 that will bolt right in to replace an early Prestolite or Motorola. In the link below I think it shows how it can be wired and that too is quite easy.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cs130+alternator+wiring&rlz=1C1CHMO_enCA555CA555&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LufkU6ODLpCGogSMp4LIDw&ved=0CBsQsAQ&biw=994&bih=458

Dave, the way you describe it you have  neither 1 wire nor 3 wire. You shouldn't have to rev your car way up to get it to charge. The way I heard it from a hot rod guy the 1 wire type puts out a steady 13.5 V and you don't have to rev it up for it to kick in.  
Everything I have seen on the web for the older SI ALT's or the 130 if you don't have the light to excite the ALT you will need to get the rpm up on the ALT before it will charge as posted above with the 1400 RPM.

When I wired my drag car I forgot to wire in the light and the street car I thought I did wire one in but now thinking I may have forgotten it also when I went with the custom Speed Hut gauges
Also saw posted you can wire in a resistor in place of the light and may do this but I will fix both someday as I don't want to blip the gas to get either to charge.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2014 at 10:10pm
All you have to do is plug in the orange wire to the alternator and a hot wire to the battery or hot post on the solenoid. The AMC factory wires clip into the SI plastic plug-in. I bought the harness for a CS to SI at Napa so I didn't cut any wires. If you use the later GM alternator brackets then any SI or CS will fit. The advantage of a CS series are higher quality components and less working effort on alternator to achieve the same results as something working at 50% and up most of the time.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2014 at 10:50am
Regardless of which upgrade alternator you use the output wire should also be increased in size to at least 8 ga.  
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2014 at 6:59am
I helped a guy put in a CS130 in a gremlin.

Easy part was the wiring, even disconnecting the Motorola regulator the orange wire ending at the alternator is still connected to the lamp.

3 glitches

The bolt hole that the alternator pivots on was too small and we needed to run a drill through it. This was on a 401 and I never ran across that when installing same alternator on a 232.

Clock position was out with the output stud very close to the block. We had to take the pulley off again because the case halves had to separate about 1/8 inch to be able to rotate 1/3 turn.

The adjust arm with the slot in the middle was too wide and interfered with the case. It had to be modified. In hindsight it would have been better to select an alternator that was wider between the mounting holes, which were even more plentiful in our local junk yard. 

As his car was originally a six with alternator and regulator on the left, he can now remove all those wires that were run across to the other side, except the orange that got connected to the L terminal on the CS130. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic