TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 AMX Torque Steer- Problem Found

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2014 at 8:21am
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

...as a matter of fact a slipped axle is not a bad alternative to the hub spinning and breaking the axle, which allows the entire wheel, tire and drum depart the car, resulting on much body damage and possible control issues.  The is the case on the Dana 44 as installed in Studebaker Avanti...

Nicely said. 
Although the AMC hub/axle connection may not be the strongest, understand that one piece axles are a compromise.
The late model Grand Cherrokee uses a full floating axle shaft and unit bearing, a very effective method to retain the hub, brake and wheel.
Many of us with Senior Jeep experience have had the retaining ring get loose causing the axle to slide out from under the vehicle.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2014 at 2:00pm
I'm somewhat confused that the drums only came with hubs? I was in the dealership shops from the time I could walk and can only remember a very few times the process of getting the hub off and the new one installed and it was always for spun hubs, never a brake job. By the time I started work for real the two piece hubs were pretty much gone, but I still did 10 years in AMC dealers and I personally never changed a hub.

The only hubs I hear about with any detail spinning seem to be ones that have been pulled and reinstalled? My current AMC 15 has well over 100K on it and to all appearances has never been touched. I have left them alone as I have beat the snot out of many a Rambler over the years without spinning a hub.

I think it is just a pure matter of chance to spin a hub unless it is outright installed wrong. Just as it it is to watch a Ford 9" axle walk out of the bearing! 2'! Which I have seen too! Jacked the car up, hammered it back in and drove slowly home.

The only real drawback to the two piece hubs is their age. No one is making new ones. Not many people have a puller, and the paperwork to get it all done correctly.

A 20 out of a 80's Grand Cherokee was on my mind last week. One on craigslist with 3:31 gearset. Thought about putting it in the convertible, but when I tried to find the ad again it had been pulled.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic