TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Camber adjustment crossmember repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2014 at 6:47am
That one you have looks to have been repaired once already as the plate is typically spot welded from the factory and is fairly easy to chisel off. You just need to build up a weld on both sides and carefully grind and smooth (a lot of trial fitting) to finish the job
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2014 at 8:27am
This type of repair, and yes I have done a bit of it too, is not unrealistic on a car that is as old as these are now and was not manufactured with the idea that 45 or so years later people would be working on them trying to get them to adjust.
Most AMC cars became beaters rather quickly and were driven as far as they could go with out making any repairs at all.
I have owned a number of the post '70 cars and rebuilt the front end on even more of them and it is amazing how well they drove considering most of the front end was shot completely with these things bad, the lower control arm woggeled out so far that the bushing was no longer able to be pressed in, it just fell through, upper control arm bushing metal on metal, the rubber gone and strut rod bushing missing great chunks of rubber. 
And the cost of repair far greater than any value of the thing as transportation was worth.
They would clunk pulling into the driveway and try to change lanes when the crack in the concrete was hit on freeways. 
The have in my opinion a terrible front end, but it works pretty fair with new parts in them for quite a while.
But in reality, all they had to do when built was last through the warranty period with out causing a call back.  And that they did.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2014 at 9:05am
I repaired the cross member on my 390V8 AWD Pro Rally SX/4 buy replacing the worn out parts with slightly larger lxwxh pieces of bar stock. Welded all around the new pieces and ground down the weld where the eccentric rides. The SX/4 took a beating on rallies.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 4:26pm
Just thought it might be easier to resurrect this thread rather that begin a new one.

My opinion.

The eccentric isn't a very reliable alignment method no matter what is done to it.

My question.

Does anyone have any good ideas to eliminate the eccentric altogether?
I mean other than the multiple holes in a square of flat stock.

Maybe remove the bushing and weld a female threaded boss to the end of the bottom control arm and attach a Heim joint. Then weld in thickener plates where the tab plates are and use a through bolt and lock nut? Street use might hammer that to bits in no time though.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic