TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Converting a M-35 to a Mopar 904/727

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converting a M-35 to a Mopar 904/727
    Posted: Jun/22/2014 at 8:33am
I have a 1968 drivetrain, 199 ci, Borg Warner M-35 transmission in my 1966 American.

I have heard the trans can be converted to a Mopar 727 or 904.

Love to chat with someone who has been there, done that and wears the t-shirt.
Ollie
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2014 at 11:54am
Ollie, Just as a guess but I dont think this can be done with your 199 ci 6cly motor.
If you have a v8 (290/343/390) then yes. The pre 71 6cly have a different bolt pattern motor/trany than the v8's and the 904/998/727 tranys.
If you had the later 6cly (232/258) you could then use the listed tranys.

Now there may be an adapter I dont know about to go from your motor to the 904/998/727 but the big thing is the starter is on the right side for the tranys listed I think yours is on the left right?
Lets see if someone knows if I am wrong.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2014 at 1:38pm
Someone was working on an adapter to run the AW4 with his 199.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2014 at 2:07pm
1972 up 6s run TFs, and the TFs will not fit pre-71 6s.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2014 at 2:25pm
Thanks for all the info...
Dave...yes my starter is on the left...drivers side

Who is working on the adaptor?

I did read about the adaptor for the ford 5 speed std. I would love that but my wife cannot drive a std anymore..due to physical problems.
Ollie
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2014 at 9:06am
If the 199 is tired anyway use this ans an excuse to upgrade to a 258. It will bolt right in with the newer model trans. Talk to the local Jeep clubs -- someone will usually give a core 258 away, or at least sell it relatively cheap.

There's nothing wrong with the M-35 behind a 199 though. If you're having problems with it check the local transmission shops. If anyone recognizes "Borg-Warner automatic" or "Rambler automatic" you're probably in a good place. That will be hard to do -- so if they look at you with a blank expression ask if they know about a Ford FMX or older Volvo automatics. Both are derivatives of the BW trans (Volvo used the M-35 through the 70s, M-65 later; the Ford is actually a license produced BW M-8 derivative, which is similar to the M-35). If they know those trannys they will be able to rebuild the M-35 easily. Last time I had an M-35 worked on I left my TSM in the car and made sure the mechanic knew it. He later said it was the ticket -- he didn't have all the specs in his literature collection -- nothing quite that old.
Frank Swygert
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2014 at 12:38pm
Or get a 4.0L with 2wd AW4 and get O/D and EFI at the same time!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic