TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

66 Ambassador rear brake Update options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2014 at 3:58am
The easisets thing would probably be to put the regular duo-servo drums on the back with really small wheel cylinders to keep the proportioning correct. If that still doesn't work, a proportioning valve might need to be added.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
johne View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2014 at 3:31pm
OP - I have the exact same (poor) brake setup. There's a description of how to fit the more common drum system here

http://www.marlinautoclub.com/marlin-guy/rear-conv.html

I am currently waiting on some backplates which an exceptionally kind member on here agreed to ship me for teh carriage costs alone.  Once I have those, I will order the "small parts" I need.  I will then have two full sets of the non-servo bendix setup that you have - but one set of the adjusters isn't very good (and the "good"  set is currently on the car, however if it can wait, I will gladly ship you what you need at cost.  I am in England though so the cost and time will be high/long.

This thread gives the details of how i am experiencing similar problems to you

http://theamcforum.com/forum/is-this-a-stupid-idea-that-wont-work_topic60551.html
67 Rebel SST convertible (parts car) RHD
68 Rebel SST convertible RHD
56 Chevy 210 (Long term project)
lincoln View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincoln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2014 at 1:22am
Hi Johne,
 Thanks so much 1st for the linke 2nd for the offer! That would be really great. Maybe that way I could keep the original setup... And shipping wouldn't be too long and costly, since I'm in Germany :-) Please pm me, once you're done. Maybe you could take some pics of the leftoverparts. And we will figur out a price...
 So there are only two options left now: keep the original setup or change to the 10" servo brakes.
lincoln View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincoln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2014 at 1:26am
And one more, would these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Cj5-Cj7-Cj8-7986-AMC-20-REAR-AXLE-10-DRUM-BRAKE-BACKING-PLATES-FACTORY-/171343078118

work?
johne View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2014 at 3:45am
Originally posted by lincoln lincoln wrote:

Hi Johne,
 Thanks so much 1st for the linke 2nd for the offer! That would be really great. Maybe that way I could keep the original setup... And shipping wouldn't be too long and costly, since I'm in Germany :-) Please pm me, once you're done. Maybe you could take some pics of the leftoverparts. And we will figur out a price...
 So there are only two options left now: keep the original setup or change to the 10" servo brakes.

OK,let's keep in touch and I'll let you know when the parts I need have arrived - you can have the parts for shipping cost - I am not looking for anything over just not being out of pocket :) Sorry about my assumption you're in US or Canada - it's just the majority of the board does seem to be there (unsurprisingly).

Edited by johne - Jun/25/2014 at 3:49am
lincoln View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincoln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 5:42am
Hi Johne,
 did you get the parts yet and were able to update your brakes?

Thanks ,Kay.
johne View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 12:29am
Hi,

I have the backing plates (many many thanks to member Fluffy73 who sent them to me from Canada).

I need to get the "smaller" hardware parts.  I'll let you know when I have them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic