TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mt82 swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mt82 swap
    Posted: Jun/09/2014 at 7:16pm
I have driven my Boss 302 that is equipped with the mt82 trans
While a bit on the weak side for the power level I was running 865 at 8100 rpm, it is a really nice trans when geared correctly.
Fifth gear is one to one in this trans....

Since I see people are using the t5 stuff in there swaps I was wondering if any one has used or thought of using the mt82 instead?

Steve-o
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2014 at 9:45pm
Is the MT82 a 6sp trany? What rear gear does the car have and first gear in the trany?
A lot of the new cars/trucks are going with more gears so the motor stays in a small RPM window where it is most happy at.
Unless you built your AMC motor with a small RPM window I dont know if more gears is the way to go?
I went with the T5 for 2 reasons, 1 mostly. The over drive to hope get better MPG as it will be a driver. The lower first gear of 2.95 T5 is nice over the stock 2.42? T10 so it is easier on the clutch.

Now another reason to use a Ford T5 of the years we do (I dont remember them right now) is we can use stock parts, bell & clutch, etc. to mate it to the motor.
The other reason for the years we use is the trany input shaft lenght. IIRC the newer T5's have a longer input shaft so you would need to make a spacer to fit between bell housing & trany like someone did for a T56 trany.
I also thought the newer mustang shifters are mounted to the hump and uses rods back to the trany?
Just my take on the T5 and the data that is out there to use.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2014 at 10:22pm
I suspect the bellhousing is integral, like the T45, and if so, they wont work.............as FF2 says above........the T5 fits the AMC bellhousing.......
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2014 at 9:15am
The MT-82 is a six speed, and yes, it has an integral bell housing, so it can't easily be used on an AMC. An adapter plate would be required, and there are no Ford to AMC adapter plates made. Plenty of GM to AMC though... 
Frank Swygert
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2014 at 9:34pm
Ok
Well it's a shame.
Yes it's a six speed but single od unit.
Fifth is one to one

And the gear spread in it is simply awesome and fun to drive

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2014 at 7:17am
Single OD six speeds are best for an engine with low torque -- usually smaller engines that freely rev (high and quick) and have a narrow torque band at a relatively high rpm (starts at 2500 or more). Quickly revs up and runs through the gears, sort of like a sport bike. An AMC V-8 can be built that way (even the I-6 can, but it takes some thought to make it a high rever... start with the shortest stroke 199 crank in a 4.0L block...), but 5.0L (304) and larger engines work best on the street built to produce higher torque at low speeds (torque curve starts low -- 1000-1500 rpm). Racers move the torque curve start higher of course, but they make up for it with gearing... so does the Mt82... in the trans instead of the rear axle though. An engine can be built to take advantage of that kind of trans.... NEEDS to be built to take advantage of it, really!!
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic