TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rear coil springs for a '67 Ambassador

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2014 at 2:08pm
I have both front and rear springs from a '67 marlin that has 30K original miles(was hit with structural damage.), and the springs are fine. They have surface rust that would need to be stripped and repainted. I'm nearly done stripping the car down, and i'm going out to pull the engine today, leaving it a rolling shell. Everything else is off the car except for the front and rear suspension. I can take a pic today and post it so you can see the stance with the engine in it. The Ambassador is essentially the same car. I have 4 '67 Marlin parts cars, and would guess i have a good heater valve also.
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2014 at 3:54pm
Here's pics. I pulled the engine after i took these today so it wont be long until the springs come out. Now remember this car has no doors or glass in it so some weight is gone but it sits like a 30K mile car should. I also checked and i have at least 3 heater valves with surface rust on them, but they can be had cheap if they are in fact working.

Edited by typhooner - May/21/2014 at 3:59pm
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2014 at 4:32pm
I faced both the rear spring and heater valve problems last year on my 67 Ambassador.

The heater valve I found in Ebay. Before that I tried one of the rebuild kits but it did not have the fix for everything that was wrong with mine. It fixed one problem but not all the problems. If you cannot find what you need, you can just leave it in place and put a manual valve in the circuit until you find what you need.

For the rear springs, I bought a set of off-the-shelf springs. Although they physically fit, they were miserably soft. They were way under what the OEM part would have been.

I worked with a company in the Midwest to build just the spring I wanted. Theirs was a bit more money but they have been quite good. Delivery was a couple of weeks. If you need it, I can did up the vendor's name.

Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2014 at 8:06pm
There's a guy near me that rebuilds/restores heater valves for just about any car, his name escapes me for the moment. But he's expensive.......in the $100.00 range. I can look him up, but i have a feeling you can get them cheaper on ebay.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic