TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Restoration facts, question and answer. > Part Numbers, AMC Parts ID and cross-references
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1957 trim code 618

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2014 at 1:07pm
While I don't have the 1956 upholstery book , I do have the parts book for that era, and it does list that trim code for that model. So, I must be a little different system then the later cars, as they usually start the trim code with the model year. Seems 1956 Rambler does not. Unfortunately all it list is "Gray" for a color and a parts number. I don't know if Brian Yacino has the 1956 Upholstery book either. Far as I know I'm the only one who has the a nearly complete set of AMC data from 1958 to 1982 or 1983. I have to check but I think I've some representing all those year. I do know that the Detroit Public Library auto history collection has every data/upholstery book for all car companies including Toyoda EXCEPT AMC and Nash. Because I've been there doing research and they don't have them ! These things use to come one once in a while. Now they only very rarely should up on places like EBAY. LRDaum
LRDaum
spotcha1 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spotcha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2014 at 3:44am
That would make sense that it starts with the year, but I'm sure it's T618. I have seen in one add that in 1956 that the interior was red vinyl and silver wheat cloth. That is what is on the back of the seats but not on the bench part. The car is Black with Red insert and a White top. The peach and black doesn't seem to go with that, plus at the bottom there are red side pieces that mount on the seat frame.
I'm thinking Nash put 1956 interior package in this 57? Thank You for looking and finding that.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2014 at 6:23am
If you are in the hobby for a while you collect over the years books that describe how to in general identify different years and characteristics of various models. I and my better half between us have quite a collection as we both have an interest in the  hobby and both have owned AMC cars and actually met through the hobby.
But in general AMC did not do a very good job of keeping the hobby public aware of manufactured information.
They are not the only ones though, but they are one of the ones.
That makes it hard for the average person to be able to identify things such as this question and others too. Examples abound over and over again.
She owns a base model 1 year only AMX.  And had it for a number of years always questioning why her AMX looked different than others at various shows that were attended. We together were doing some research a number of years ago and discovered a base model was manufactured in 1980.  It is not generally known nor published.  But it answered the question.
There are documents such as a dealer brochure I think we ran across. Something that is not in general publication and only the dedicated hobbyist would end up being aware of.
We also own a 1994 Saturn that has a 1995 paint code on it, discovered when we went to buy paint for a repaint.  Things happen on model run change over as stock is depleted down or phased in to the assembly line.   Things like this are not in general print either which is probably what is going on here.
One of the reference books we have had the Nash and Hudson trim codes but the year in question was either missing or incomplete. A dedicated hobbyist might have a manufactures book that showed up floating around but the general public would not be able to find out the information.
The problem then becomes, being able to document a restoration as being one that is legitimate.
The definition for example of "Numbers Matching" in general can not be applied to an AMC, and probably Nash or Hudson product due to lack of general purpose information.  The data is just not available.
Has that been a problem?  Not really. In the some odd 45 years or so of attending shows and/or participating in them as a judge how close a product came to being exactly as manufactured has never been an issue.  Period correct, and cosmetics were generally the guidelines and that has worked well I think in general.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic