TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1961 American Front Shocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2020 at 6:58am
We have to remember that these cars were built to be reasonably cheap and easy to assemble, then last roughly 10 years/100K miles. I think that was more a goal than a reality, though they would last IF TAKEN PROPER CARE OF. The reality is that most people in the prosperous 60s and 70s kept a car maybe 3-4 years and got a new one. I still remember some of my dad's friends (he's 80 now) who would buy a new car every two years no matter what, only keeping them 3-4 after they retired. Dad would keep one 4-5 years -- he had three kids to raise! So the average person put 40-60K on a car then traded it in. Used cars weren't valued much (a different society tier for those, many never had a new car... come to think of it, most of dad's "new" cars were 1-2 year olds...), and Ramblers least (except for a brief period -- about 58-62). No one took "proper care" of a cheap used car. So we have cars (especially the cheaper Americans) that were sometimes badly abused (no lube in the front ends!) and hard driven for another 40-60K miles before being left out to die. And we pull them back out of the weeds/woods/junk yard and put them back into decent shape and drive some more! Really, it's a miracle some of them have held together at all!!!
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2020 at 11:47pm
Yup, I think you nailed it.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2020 at 4:32pm
Thanks for the info. My 60 American front suspension is a mix of a whole lot of mismatched parts. I removed the trunions and welded in 3/8 plates to accept Javelin ball joints and now I use Javelin/Mat spindles. big car stuff. 72 Mustang spring perch cut down to fit with the original springs. Still have the original shocks. Yes really the original shocks and there shot. Javelin calipers on cut down javelin rotors with Jeep Cherokee rotors over the Javelin hubs. 18 bucks compared to outrageous if they can be found. Im going to try the shocks and see how they work.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2020 at 12:17am
Originally posted by WARBED WARBED wrote:

Thanks for the info. My 60 American front suspension is a mix of a whole lot of mismatched parts. I removed the trunions and welded in 3/8 plates to accept Javelin ball joints and now I use Javelin/Mat spindles.

How do you change the arm pivot bushings?

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2020 at 7:17am
I had some discussion with WARBED when  he was doing this modification. He installed new rubber bushings, because when they need changing you have to cut the arms and start over! Luckily the bushings aren't something that wears out quickly. Should be good for 80-100k miles 20-30 years.

WARBED, you just need to find some short eye end shocks ( bottom end) and weld on some brackets.
Frank Swygert
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2020 at 4:16pm
Actually never need to split the arms to remove the bushings. they pull out from the outside. Yea it would be easier if they split but got the tools too do it this way. used the original style bushing but bought some poly bushing material in long lengths that I will make my own if I can stop driving for a while and actually work on the little beast. also have to clean up my shop again so I can find things.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2020 at 10:15pm
Nice solution!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic