TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 20 rear Disc brakes 70 AMX?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2014 at 10:40pm
I would say that would be it thanks !
1970 AMX 401 4 speed BBG
1972 Gremlin X 401 4 speed
1973 Gremlin X 304 4 speed
1973 Amx Pierre Cardin A/C 401 Auto
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2014 at 7:48am
Originally posted by mmaher94087 mmaher94087 wrote:

What brake unit did Larry Mitchell supply? I recall that his units didn't have parking brakes either.

I remember this also.  And it looks old enough to be one.

However this is the only information I was able to find on it using the internet.

http://www.amx-perience.com/AmericanMotorsForum/archive/index.php/t-473.html

Edited by uncljohn - Apr/27/2014 at 8:07am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2014 at 9:29am
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

Originally posted by mmaher94087 mmaher94087 wrote:

What brake unit did Larry Mitchell supply? I recall that his units didn't have parking brakes either.

I remember this also.  And it looks old enough to be one.

However this is the only information I was able to find on it using the internet.

http://www.amx-perience.com/AmericanMotorsForum/archive/index.php/t-473.html

Thanks for the link. The time frame would have been about right (2006) as this AMX has been in storage since 2005. All I know is that the previous owner had clearance issues from the caliper when he tried to mount 15" Amc rally rims on the back. The rim wouldn't clear the caliper.
1970 AMX 401 4 speed BBG
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2014 at 10:20am

First I have heard of using the 8.8 disc assy. on our 20 rear axle.

Would like to know if anyone has tried this other than pictures of the bracket only?

Also I heard disc & stock axles did not play nice because of axle end play pushing the pistons back in and when you hit the brakes the pedal would be low on the first few pushes. Anyone run into this with disc & stock axles?

ALso like to know from ones running rear disc what setup you are using and the size wheel that clears the caliper.

Some links I tracked down from this post.

CE-6012

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/categoriesre.aspx?id=959

Backing plates L&R

http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/brakes.html?cat=34

Not 8.8 that I know of from WSC

http://www.classicone.com/wsc/catalog/amc/amc_per1.htm

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2014 at 4:04pm
An update for what it is worth on the Disc brake conversion sold through Larry Mitchel's AMC club, a quick look through of news letters I have shown it first advertised (at least in my collection) on January 1997 and still advertised in January 2001.  Which basically means nothing I guess 'cause there is no technical articles on it anywhere between the news letters I have from 1996 to 2001. Or at least non I saw.
It was sold through the house organ club sales as were a number of AMC and AMX items. Many which I have not seen or heard of in years.  Which probably indicate how rare some things are now.
Maybe some one else has some information that could be added.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2014 at 9:26pm
Anyone else here try this conversion?
1970 AMX 401 4 speed BBG
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2014 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by AMX AMX wrote:

Probably at the time as there was a fair amount of interest in it when it was available.  However there was no emergency or parking brake available.  This made it un-usable in states were a safety inspection required them.
Also as it was a different era in time.  On AMC the conversion to front Disc Brakes was pretty much just taking later AMC OEM disc brake units and back fitting them on either the early disc brakes used at the time which in the 80's there were no replacement parts for them available or a drum brake car was converted.  Rear disc was a big deal to give state of the art at the time braking with out breaking the bank to do it.

I looked at it for a while, but the lack of an emergency brake scotched it.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
ga70amx View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ga70amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2014 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by AMX AMX wrote:

As a matter of fact I just completed my rear disc conversion. I used 1998 Mustang GT (not Cobra) rear calipers and rotors. I had to make my own brackets and a spacer to line it all up. The bracket bolt on the inside of the axle flange using three of the four retaining bolts. I also got stainless braided lines for the calipers and put a Wilwood proportioning valve in the read hard line. I had to make custom hard lines to match up with the ¼” hoses. I have but not installed yet a Lokar universal E-brake kit. All added up I have just north of $500 in this. I no doubt would have gotten stuff cheaper if I had shopped around for the calipers and had old one to avoid the core charge.

Corvette powered '77 280Z
'70 AMX 390 Golden Lime Metallic
'67 Chevy C10 stepside
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2014 at 7:18am
Nice setup and I love the drop light Thumbs Up
They make plastic tubes that fit arounf the bulb to protect it a little or keep it from making a big mess if you drop something on it.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
ga70amx View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ga70amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2014 at 7:27am
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Nice setup and I love the drop light Thumbs Up
They make plastic tubes that fit arounf the bulb to protect it a little or keep it from making a big mess if you drop something on it.

Dave ----

LOL. Hey ya got an old cabinet light just lying there doing nothing and you're old and damn near blind....... Good point about a shield, fluorescent bulbs explode when hit and glass and nasty chemicals go everywhere.
Corvette powered '77 280Z
'70 AMX 390 Golden Lime Metallic
'67 Chevy C10 stepside
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic