TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

625 street demon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2014 at 2:12pm
Timed where?

I love the pro shop stories. I have a 650 dp I got from my Gremlin buddy for $50. He got it from a friend for free. The carb had been on fire and left out in the weather for a long time.

He soaked it, put in a fresh kit, new throttle blades since the origs were bent and pitted. He couldn't get it to run right. He prided himself a Holley expert and didn't want my help.

So he eventually takes it to a Speed shop in Monaca PA which was owned and run by an ex Holley engineer. His picture is actually in one of those DYI Holley books.

Anyways he puts in a new throttle shaft and goes through it. $75. The carb still idles high and cuts out when the secs are opened, he takes it back. This time it comes back idles a little lower and still cuts out on the sec side.

My buddy took it off at the track and put his 3310 back on. I asked if he wanted to sell the carb. He said I just gave God (what we called the Holley engineer) $50 to go through it again, so give me 50 and it's yours.

I brought it home and flipped it over. Loosened the screws on the throttle blades, centered the blades in the bores and tightened them. Got the idle now adjustable. Then on to the sec side. Yanked the metering block and started spraying carb cleaner threw all the passages. Found the main jet was clogged. Pulled the jet out and the channel behind it was packed with cork gasket material. Took and hour and a half digging it out with strands of wire.

Works perfect to this day. I'm just your average idiot too. Looked at it and figured it out.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2014 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by nda racer nda racer wrote:

Timed where?

I love the pro shop stories. I have a 650 dp I got from my Gremlin buddy for $50. He got it from a friend for free. The carb had been on fire and left out in the weather for a long time.

He soaked it, put in a fresh kit, new throttle blades since the origs were bent and pitted. He couldn't get it to run right. He prided himself a Holley expert and didn't want my help.

So he eventually takes it to a Speed shop in Monaca PA which was owned and run by an ex Holley engineer. His picture is actually in one of those DYI Holley books.

Anyways he puts in a new throttle shaft and goes through it. $75. The carb still idles high and cuts out when the secs are opened, he takes it back. This time it comes back idles a little lower and still cuts out on the sec side.

My buddy took it off at the track and put his 3310 back on. I asked if he wanted to sell the carb. He said I just gave God (what we called the Holley engineer) $50 to go through it again, so give me 50 and it's yours.

I brought it home and flipped it over. Loosened the screws on the throttle blades, centered the blades in the bores and tightened them. Got the idle now adjustable. Then on to the sec side. Yanked the metering block and started spraying carb cleaner threw all the passages. Found the main jet was clogged. Pulled the jet out and the channel behind it was packed with cork gasket material. Took and hour and a half digging it out with strands of wire.

Works perfect to this day. I'm just your average idiot too. Looked at it and figured it out.
I have timed it several times on the 4 lane highway near my house, on the same day. Run one carb, time it to the nearest .01 for 3 runs in second and then third, take it off, put on the next carb, and run it again.

The Summit picked up quite a bit with a much softer secondary spring. It was a little faster than the Edelbrock in 3rd , but very little difference in 2nd. The 650 double pumper was within a tenth in each gear, one way or the other of the Summit. This is on a mildly cammed 360-4 speed AMX with free flow exhaust manifolds, and an Offy 360 Equaflow intake.

I changed just the intake from stock and picked up a noticeable difference. I believe that the intake and carb picked up .32 from 2,000-5,000 in 3rd gear.

Edit: By the way, these were new carburetors with only metering rod and step up springs changed in the Edelbrock, and vacuum secondary spring changed in the Summit. The Holley was untouched.

Edited by Sonic Silver - Apr/25/2014 at 2:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic