TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 american Ball joints???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 65 american Ball joints???
    Posted: Apr/22/2014 at 8:07pm
so my ball joint are original and i just called napa to get new ones. they are $166 each!!! that is crazy talk! is there different ones people are using?

as always everyone's help is much appreciated! 
1965 American 440 hardtop, 232 2bbl carter, BW35 Trans
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2014 at 8:22pm
Ouch!! Did you check Rock Auto or any of the other AMC venders?
Maybe someone that has done the older cars will pop in and say what they did.

I do remember a post some time ago on the early Javelins using the later ball joints and just needing to drill a hole or 2 to make it work. Dont know if that will work for you too?
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Rambo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2014 at 8:31pm
yeah drilling a couple holes doesn't bother me at all. drilling out the rivets and bolting in the new one is typically the way they usually get replaced anyway.  im not exactly sure of the size and taper degree but i would sure think something for another make or model should fit. ball joints don't differ all that much.

i did look at rockauto and they didnt have any ball joints that i could find.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2014 at 10:13pm
For that price I would expect them to last for 50 years. The originals did.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
kronik View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kronik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2014 at 10:21pm
Not 100% sure about 65; but on my 67 I have 2 these on:
I had to drill 2 holes on each to make them fit.  You get both of em, 25 bucks shipped... it's worth a try IMO.  Good luck to ya.
65 American
67 American
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2014 at 8:31am
When I bought my '65 American 440-H it came with a small box of spare parts one of which was a new ball joint. The part is a Perfect Circle suspension part made by the Dana Corp. The part number on the box is 260-1063. Hope this info is of some use to you.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2014 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Rambo Rambo wrote:

yeah drilling a couple holes doesn't bother me at all. drilling out the rivets and bolting in the new one is typically the way they usually get replaced anyway.  im not exactly sure of the size and taper degree but i would sure think something for another make or model should fit. ball joints don't differ all that much.

i did look at rockauto and they didnt have any ball joints that i could find.

Ball joints do vary in the angle of the taper, and diameter of the stud that goes into the bottom of the spindle, you have to ream or sleeve the spindle till there is a compatible interference fit. Try just jamming them together without getting that right will end up with movement which will break the ball joint stud very likely when you're on the road.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2014 at 10:38am
Kanter lists them for $25 each. Napa is probably getting them from Rare Parts and they are a very expensive supplier.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
AM XTASY View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM XTASY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2014 at 12:13pm
I got mine off of apd and they are a nice fit, comes with all of the mounting hardware too. They run 69 dollars apiece 
Rambo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2014 at 7:23pm
thanks so much for all the help! i ended up ordering some from kanter. they were the cheapest $25 a piece. i almost went with the ebay ones buy they seemed to be a slightly different shape. there are some NOS ones of ebay as well $70 for the pair but there were located in Istanbul turkey. probably would have taken a little bit for them to get here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic