TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

cold starting fuel problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2014 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

Are you using a Holley 2300?

I was, a 500cfm. Now I have an Edelbrock Performer 500cfm but the same exact issue.  I'm very interested in finding out what carb Luxury has.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2014 at 4:15pm
Just to follow up some of the same thoughts, it's pretty normal for the fuel in the carb to dry out after several days. The situation is made worse if there is any every-so-small leak in a fuel line that can let air in. In these cases, the engine will need to crank a bit to get even a good mechanical fuel pump to get fuel where it is needed. I know that's what mine does.

I find that garaged over night, I do not have this problem.

I know of folks that take of or bypass the mechanical fuel pump and run an electric pump. It can make noise, not authentic, etc. but it pumps fuel as soon as the key is turned on. Some folks that start their engines only after significant "time in the barn" find the quicker start with the electric pump worth making the change.

For the original poster (and I'm not the carb expert here), you probably need a carb rebuild to start with. I while back, I did not want to do my AFB myself and sent it to Hobbs up in New Hampshire with excellent results.

Good luck,
Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2014 at 8:45am
If your carb does not have the insulation plate under it, it will get hot after you shut the car down and this will help in boiling out the gas that is in the bowls. It is the only explanation that you have the same problem after changing carbs.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2014 at 2:24pm
Yep, or in addition an over active heat stove / crossover.
 Imbalance in the exhaust can make those things get HOT.

Edited by Boris Badanov - Apr/22/2014 at 2:28pm
Gremlin Dreams
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2014 at 11:35am
Do you run the car in cold weather?
If the car never see's freezing cold
and fuel economy is not important I
like to block off the heat rizer all together.
I machine the manifuld and drio in a piece
of 1/4 inch thick steel on both sides.

I have ZERO experiance with a Gen 1 AMC
beyond driving one to death, but it should be
an easy mod to make.
Gremlin Dreams
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2014 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Mr. Ed Mr. Ed wrote:

If your carb does not have the insulation plate under it, it will get hot after you shut the car down and this will help in boiling out the gas that is in the bowls. It is the only explanation that you have the same problem after changing carbs.

Later!
Mr. Ed

I have a .32 insulator gasket installed on an Offy 360 DP.  The car starts hot, warm, and cool with the first crank after it's been recently driven.  When it sits for a period of days, it takes time to get gas to the carb.  The longer it sits, the longer it takes to "prime" the carb.  It's not boiling out from heat, and there's no leaks in the fuel line however minimal because you'd smell it in the garage. 

It's little more than a very mild nuisance which I'm not particularly concerned about, but I'd love to find out what it is and fix it because, well, because I love to tinker with the car. 

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic