TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

3 on the tree linkage adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 on the tree linkage adjustment
    Posted: Apr/19/2014 at 12:58pm
Hey guys, I've just finished adjusting the linkage on the Rebel so that the revers/first and second/reverse cams line up.  But there's a TON space between the cams and the selector cam can get between them unless I do perfectly "square" shifting.  Is there a way to remove the play from the reverse/1rst cam so that it's closer to the second/third cam? 

I've looked in the TSM, but it only gives instructions on how to adjust the rods, not the play.

Thanks!
Ray
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2014 at 1:18pm
There should be an angled slot near the bottom of the column (in the engine bay) with a little cap screw that you can loosen and adjust the bottom, bushing upward to perhaps remove some of the slack. I think much of the "slop" on old column shifters (at least the ones AMC used) is caused by worn parts. I have a 64 Classic I parked because of slop in the shifter after going to the trouble of putting a new clutch in it. Have not gotten back to it yet. I did buy and install a new spacer (c-shaped spacer bushing) from Blazer's. The spacer goes between the two shift levers. That's didn't help much at all. Next I'll tear the column down and build up the worn area on the "pin" that faces the shift gate and the worn gate itself. Hope I'm using the right terms. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2014 at 9:12pm
That plastic (nylon?) plug in the bottom that is adjustable gets worn down. I've torn the column down and made a wood plug to replace the plastic one. Grease the face real god before assembling, works great. The plastic gets brittle with age. I rotated the plastic at first and drilled it, but it split when I put the new screws in (hmmm... it may have been split already, don't recall now!).
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic