TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

727 Neutral Safety Switch Wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 727 Neutral Safety Switch Wiring
    Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 11:53am

69 Javelin, just got my 727 installed.  I am going to use a B&M mega shifter I had lying around the shop and do away with the column shifter.  I would like to bypass the Javelin neutral safety switch on the column and use the three pin NSS in the 727.

My research has found that the outer pins on the 727 NSS are for the reverse lights, and the single center pin is for the NSS.

The Javelin TSM shows two brown wires for the reverse lights (power in and power out).  It also has two green wires, one from the starter solenoid to the NSS and one from the NSS to the ignition switch.

So the question is how do I wire the NSS in the 727 between the ignition switch and the solenoid? I'm sure I am missing the simple answer.

Thanks, Tom

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 12:14pm
The "normal" way to use the NSS on the 727 is to swap out the starter relay with one that has the ground lug on the backside. The NSS center pin on a 727 provides a path to ground only in Park and Neutral. You run a wire from the center pin on the 727 NSS to the ground lug on the new starter relay. Then you can just pull the two green wires from the old column NSS and tie them together. The new starter relay will only operate when that lug is grounded by the 727 NSS.

Second option. Pick up a 30amp relay. put one green wire on the 30 pin and the other green wire on the 87 pin. Put keyed power on pin 85 and run a wire from 86 to the center pin on the 727 NSS.  Then the relay will block or pass the power to the starter relay. The only advantage there is you don't have to change the starter relay and all the wiring mods are inside the passenger cabin.

Edited by pit crew - Apr/17/2014 at 12:20pm

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Texas275 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 12:26pm

I was thinking the center pin was a power pin.  Never thought of it as a ground.  That makes much more sense.  Any idea of which starter relay with a ground lug (part number, year-make-model) I would need to get? Thanks for the help. Tom

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Texas275 Texas275 wrote:

Any idea of which starter relay with a ground lug (part number, year-make-model) I would need to get? Thanks for the help. Tom
Don't know how convenient NAPA parts stores are to you but they carry the ECH ST96 which will do the trick for you.

Texas275 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 1:31pm
Thats what I needed to know.  Thanks a bunch
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 2:06pm
Your welcome. If you can't find that one I think ST83 is another one that will work.

carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2014 at 1:49am
If not, then order one for a pre '87 Grand Wagoneer. Looks like a common Ford one, but has a ground on the back.
Texas275 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2014 at 7:45am
I wired up the NSS with the relay last night.  Works great, thanks for the info.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2014 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Texas275 Texas275 wrote:

I wired up the NSS with the relay last night.  Works great, thanks for the info.
That is great to hear. I was just wondering how it had worked out for you. On to the next item on your job list. Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic