TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

solenoid question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 709karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: solenoid question
    Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 7:52pm
a quickie that someone might answer to save me some time...sometimes, the solenoid will click w/o activating the starter, other times (mostly) the starter will work.  This concerns me as I'd obviously like to be able to depend on the starter. If it were consistent, I could trouble shoot it, (I think) but if it were a wiring (gd) issue or solenoid issue being indicated...would save some fuss.  Thanks, replies are appreciated,   Karl
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 8:32pm
Karl, Need a little back ground on the car. Is the batt. fully charged and what would the voltage be?
How old are ALL the batt cables? Please dont tell me they look good as you can not see what the insides look like. If you dont replace them when you have them off for cleaning, clean the connections ends of cables & where they hook to also. Clean the batt. posts & cable ends even if new cables.

In short I would replace ALL batt. cables and before I connected them up clean where they hook to. Dont forget the wire from right motor mount to crossmember as I think all AMC's have one.

Once you have the cables replaced and car running again cut open the old cables to see what they look like but you will Wacko
Dave ---- 
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
709karl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 709karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 9:36pm
You may be on the right track but the battery is almost new...I keep it charged on a battery tender...I've meticulously cleaned the battery terminals and the cables are fairly recent and fresh.  I have had battery problems during storage but the 'tender' seems to keep it charged.  I'll double, no triple check everything again tomorrow.  I appreciate your reply,  Karl
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic