TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rebel Machine Dash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebel Machine Dash
    Posted: Apr/15/2014 at 6:53pm
Our Machine has the 2 piece dash with cracks in the hard plastic part, which is proving very hard to locate a replacement for. My question is, will a 1 piece dash from a '71 Matador replace the 2 piece. Also, is the '71 dash the same as the 1 piece dash I have seen on some Machines? Our Machine has a build date of February with the 2 piece dash and I know of a Machine with a build date of March and his is 1 piece. Greatly appreciate any help with this so I know whether to buy the Matador dash...or not.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2014 at 8:34pm
The overlay over the gauges is different too, when you swap to the one piece pad. So you will need to locate this part also. The 71 pad will fit your 70.
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2014 at 9:10pm
The one piece dash will work on your car.  All of the dash structure is the same.  All of the gauges, climate control, switches and such are the same.  The only difference will by the color of the aluminum overlay.  
My Machine was built in March and has the two piece dash set up.  I have a 70 Rebel that was also built in March and it to has the two piece design.
Red Rebel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 8:22am
That's what I wanted to hear. I was hoping to just swap out the dash tops, from the 2 piece to the one piece without having to change the overlay or anything else. Thanks again for your help. Very appreciated.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 7:06pm
I hate to say this but I think you'll find that going to the one piece dash is going to require a new instrument cluster bezel.  The first picture is a '71 Ambo one piece crash pad.  Note the length of the lip of the instrument cluster bezel.  Now look at the bezel only from a two piece dash.  Much shorter.  I know the two systems interchange but I strongly believe there's more to it than just the crash pad.

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Red Rebel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 7:45pm
Thanks for posting the pics....even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear...lol. Definately a difference in the instrument bezel. I guess I will find out soon. I committed to it this morning and it was shipped out. With the trouble I was having trying to locate the plastic part of the 2 piece, I was hoping the 1 piece would work without too much fuss.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 5:35am
Originally posted by Red Rebel Red Rebel wrote:

......With the trouble I was having trying to locate the plastic part of the 2 piece, I was hoping the 1 piece would work without too much fuss.

That is the biggest problem with the two piece dash, there are very few good plastic fillers left.  I looked for years to get one that didn't look like an alkali flat and the one I ended up with still had a broken corner that needed repair.  The sad thing is that if you do have a good one and use the stock mount for the radio speaker, that seems to crack the plastic around the grille.  It must have been a real problem as AMC had a fix consisting of a separate plate that went over the area of the speaker opening to cover the cracks and provide some reinforcement.  If the availability of instrument cluster bezels for the one piece dash was good, I'd convert my two piece in a heartbeat.
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 6:03am
Good catch Roger.  I should had read the post more thoroughly.  I just assumed he was taking the entire 71 and up assembly and installing it into the 70 car.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 9:50am
Originally posted by bbgjc bbgjc wrote:

Good catch Roger.  I should had read the post more thoroughly.  I just assumed he was taking the entire 71 and up assembly and installing it into the 70 car.

That would work too. Thumbs Up
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Red Rebel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2014 at 8:18pm
6PakBee, it appears you are right about the differences in the instrument cluster bezels. I received the '71 Matador, one piece dash top today. It looks like it would be a perfect fit, except for the instrument bezel area. Any idea of someplace I could find the matching bezel? It's a shame to have this NOS dash top and not be able to use it in our Machine, which we are currently restoring and should be done (hoping) this summer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic