TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

700R4 to AMC V8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2014 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

The torque converter people will build TCs without lock up. They will not burn up just because it doesnt lock up.  

No, but the transmission will burn up because it does not un-lock.   And using the ported vacuum tap on your carburetor allows the torque converter to un lock when the engine is under load. '
If your torque converter hunts it is because of the value of the ported vacuum, or what ever vacuum you are using. The point being it want's to be a certain value and the circuitry has to be selected to pick it up or changed depending on how YOUR circuitry works.
Un-like the AMC use of the 904 which was selected to lock and un-lock at (I believe) 37 mph, a speed commonly seen as the speed limit in city traffic, it too was prone to hunt. But changing the spring in the valve body to a different value gets it to lock up around 50 mph which is where mine is set .  And after 50,000 miles of driving it, never once has it hunted.
As my Hornet is not on the road as it is not finished, I really do not know the value it shifts at, but if it is anything like how the transmission worked on my 1987 IROC Z-28, it was in the right gear ALL the time and if it wasn't, tickling the throttle got it there.
As I have set up my application with aftermarket circuitry, it works in conjunction with a pressure switch installed on the 3/4 servo so IF the transmission down shifts out of 4th OR the engine comes under load while in cruise mode the thing will un lock, thus giving another layer of protection to the transmission.
Also if the brake is applied the torque converter will un lock so if there is a frantic need for brakes at speed, you are not  fighting a locked up torque converter trying to get stopped.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic