TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bigger Wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caddyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bigger Wheels
    Posted: Apr/08/2014 at 12:21pm
I've been thinking about going with a 17x7 up front and a 18x8 in the rear 0 offset, on my 69 american, just wondering if I would have any fitment issues, I do have the drop plates up front, which pushes the wheel out 1/2 inch any suggestions or comments would be great...Thanks
From the day your born, until that ride in the hearse, when you think things are bad they could always be worse!!
oleblue69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oleblue69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2014 at 9:58am
dont know if this will help or not, my 69 AMX has torque thrust II 17X8 with 4 and 3/4 inch back spacing 245-45 up front 245-55 out back
JS
Phrogbubba View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phrogbubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2014 at 1:51am
Any chance of pictures? Thanx!
"When a man's words are not better than the silence, he should remain silent." Qwi Chang Cain
mjdenning View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjdenning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2014 at 2:43pm
Has your '69 been dropped at all ?
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2014 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by oleblue69 oleblue69 wrote:

dont know if this will help or not, my 69 AMX has torque thrust II 17X8 with 4 and 3/4 inch back spacing 245-45 up front 245-55 out back

That must be tight on the inside up front, I assume you have lowering plates in there, I have 17x8 on the front of my 69 Javelin with 4.5" back spacing and 235/45/17 tyres and they are close to the spring on the inside with stock suspension, would probably go 4.25" backspacing if I did it again. 17x9.5 on the back with 5.5" backspacing and 275/40/17 tyres, that's about as tight as you would want to go to the springs on the inside too, had to move the front spring clamps forward for a little extra clearance.

I would assume the American body has less room on the outside than the Javelin.

kingsX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2014 at 7:17pm
I have 18x8's on the front and 18x9.5 on the back of my 73 Javelin,  4.5 backspacing on both.  Its real close in the front when turning but its never rubbed.  I'm lowered quiet a bit with CFC coil over and stock arms up front and their 4 link out back.
73 AMX Javelin PC
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2014 at 7:55pm
The 7 inch wide will fit up front, find a tire size that is the same outside Diameter as your original ones so there is no fender lip rub. I do not believe the 8 inch will fit your rear wheel wells, I tried a set of 8 in 0 offset dish mags on it, they didn't fit at all.  

Marc
Invest in rare metals, buy a AMC
74' Matador Coupe
06' MINI Cooper
14' Nissan Versa Sedan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic