TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4 cyl car spindle ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 10:44am
I went to the local Auto Zone and got the pads for the 4 cyl. setup no problem, also got calipers, no problem.....rotors are a different story, I will have to try elsewhere, maybe the local NAPA can get them.

when I checked on rock auto it listed the bearings as the same for the 6 cyl cars and the 4 cyl cars of the same year, 1981 Spirit either 4 or 6 cyl same #'s , seems strange that G-man had one's that are different unless rock auto is wrong!

National A-2 and A-6

SKF BR-2 and BR-6
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by 390spirit 390spirit wrote:

I went to the local Auto Zone and got the pads for the 4 cyl. setup no problem, also got calipers, no problem.....rotors are a different story, I will have to try elsewhere, maybe the local NAPA can get them.
when I checked on rock auto it listed the bearings as the same for the 6 cyl cars and the 4 cyl cars of the same year, 1981 Spirit either 4 or 6 cyl same #'s , seems strange that G-man had one's that are different unless rock auto is wrong!

I find that interesting.
Did you visually identify the pads as for the 4 and not the 6? They are quite different.
When I got my first set of "4 cylinder" pads it was from O'Reillys.
They gave me those pads with extreme confidence (like these guys would have a clue, all that they know is part numbers)
Showed me on the computer where the 4 and the 6 called for the same part #.
That is how I tested my local Auto Zone when I called them. Made them physically look at the 4 and 6 pads and they confirmed that the part # called for in the computer bothe the 4 and 6 pads were identical in size and shape.
Every place I called (including NAPA) had the same results.

As for the spindles, I can't say for certain about any year other than 1980.
But the spindles I am 100% sure were the originals that my car was built with.
And they were physically shaped different than the 6 cylinder.
I can't remember the exact differences however because I tossed them in the trash...sorry.
The moral of the story is; even with places like Rock Auto "Trust But Verify!"
Good luck,

g-man
AMC only daily driver
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 6:52am
everything on mine went back together with no problems, nothing rubs.

the best part is I got the pads for free!

20 years ago I bought pads at a different Auto Zone and when I picked these up he asked me for my info for warrantee purposes, so I said check back, I bought these from you guys a few years ago so these should be free, he looked it up and lo and behold there it was so I got them, went home and changed them out went back and got my $15.00 back!

thanks Auto Zone!   
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 7:29am
Free is good.  I had the same thing with Sears shocks.  I took them back 20 years later and they replaced them.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2014 at 2:45pm
The same bearings don't necessarily mean the same spindles. Spindle could be a different length and use the same bearings. Most likely the four cylinder spindles are a bit shorter, but that's just a guess.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic