TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

elect fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2014 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by 73hornut 73hornut wrote:

Looks like you could swap in  2 speed motors from taurus fans?

Not sure as I've not seen the Taurus fans. I'm using a Flex-a-Lite variable speed controller so it normally runs them at 60% but will increase them to full power if needed. The controller ramps the fans speed up so no load shock to the electrical system. So far the only time I've heard them at full power is with the A/C on sitting in traffic. Very quiet too.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2014 at 9:24pm
Mopar_Guy

Nice.

Question
Looking at your alt. and belt configuration , Does your alt. under load make your belts slip if your belts aren’t real tight.

It will and it is the pits.
I have a mirror setup as yours, So i have been there
Mine does not slip now and works really well.

Edited by needafasterAMX - Jul/17/2014 at 9:33pm
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2014 at 4:57pm
Apologize for horning in on this thread, but, Mopar Guy, I sure could use a photo of the under hood A/C stuff. Position of compressor, and hose routing.
I'll also pm you,

Thanks,

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2014 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by needafasterAMX needafasterAMX wrote:

Mopar_Guy

Nice.

Question
Looking at your alt. and belt configuration , Does your alt. under load make your belts slip if your belts aren’t real tight.

It will and it is the pits.
I have a mirror setup as yours, So i have been there
Mine does not slip now and works really well.

Not since I switched to twin belts when I added the A/C. I had the belt squealing issue with a single belt with no A/C.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2014 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Apologize for horning in on this thread, but, Mopar Guy, I sure could use a photo of the under hood A/C stuff. Position of compressor, and hose routing.
I'll also pm you,

Thanks,

Armand

Armand, there's a couple of pictures on this thread that I took a few months ago. I can send you some more.
http://theamcforum.com/forum/motorcraft-alternator-upgrade_topic39960_page3.html?KW=motorcraft+alternator

RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2014 at 10:18pm
I have the Taurus fan and a single belt WILL slip with my fan and my H4 headlights on. I actually have burned off single belts. I used a Mopar double pulley on my 140 amp delco alternator and that solved the problem. I had a similar problem on my daughter's 64 F100 with an electric fan, but was able to solve it with a big deep aftermarket alternator pulley, but it wasn't the Taurus fan. 

It makes me wonder: if it pulls that much on the alternator, am I saving any hp over a mechanical fan? I was going to switch to a clutch fan but I already have the Taurus fan and don't have ANY of the clutch fan bits and pieces including a shroud.

But FYI, the alternator load with the Taurus fan is enough to pull down my idle. I added a kicker solenoid to bump up my throttle arm a little when my fan comes on to maintain a good idle. Not joking. But the Taurus fan moves 4000+ cfm on high speed, but it pulls 70+ amps initially when it kicks on and then drops to about 45 amps constant.

Long story short - its not as great a solution as everyone make it out to be. There's no free lunch. CFM takes power to produce and the more CFM you make the more power it takes. 
The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2014 at 11:52pm
It do load the alt. and when you add amp, radio, headlights and wipe your starting to hit it pretty hard.

I had to go to an idler pulley .
Even with the duel belts it would slip. there just is not
enough belt around the alt. pulley.
This is how I fix the problem. Would like to find a stronger bolt.
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee158/lincHenderson/2011-01-08_12-21-19.jpg
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2019 at 7:07am
Old thread here, not reviving! Just wanted to add that I started a new thread on installing a contour fan if anyone is interested.
Frank Swygert
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2019 at 7:28am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Old thread here, not reviving! Just wanted to add that I started a new thread on installing a contour fan if anyone is interested.

It seems that moving from a Taurus fan to Contour is not that difficult on the Ramblers.

I did note the change ups on radiators. Looks like the newer (late 60s to 78) car radiators will fit easier than Jeep, but as i found with my oversized radiator, some angling or spacing to drop if too tall on top.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic