TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Leak at overflow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenofcanvas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leak at overflow
    Posted: Mar/27/2014 at 1:33pm
I am restoring a 1964 AMC Rambler 550 Cross Country wagon. I took a 327 and tranny out of a donor 1964 Rambler Ambassador 990. Everything is in and running. Drove the car last night. I have 2 issues. 

First - there is a leak at the overflow on the transmission. Do you know what could cause this? It is actually slightly low on fluid. Could there be something stuck inside that is keeping the fluid from flowing through?

Second - there is a vibration in reverse. It was not heard or felt outside the car but I could feel it inside. It was bad enough that it made the windows rattle.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2014 at 3:20pm
I dont know if your older car is like the newer ones but yo uneed to check the level when in neutral

not park. Did you try filling back up to full mark and did it puke again?

Some times they get a air pocket and burp.
Sure you have the right stick/tube for the trany?

Maybe someone that knows your car will stop by.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
queenofcanvas View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenofcanvas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2014 at 3:30pm
The tranny was completely drained, filter was  flushed (couldn't find a new one then, but do have one on way to me know) then refilled. It was checked on level ground in neutral and park and checked both hot and cold.

I kept the motor and tranny together when I swapped into my car. It was the dipstick that was with it. 

Thanks for the response though!
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2014 at 4:20pm
Do you know for a fact that the donor tranny was good when removed from the Ambo?? The normal procedure for checking the trans fluid is to get the car up to operating temperature. With the engine running run the gear selector thru all the stops, hesitating for a few seconds at each point (P,R,N,D2,D1,L)and then back up to Park. With engine still running check the fluid level with the dipstick. If the trans is truly low that could be a possible cause for the vibration in reverse. I know it's been mentioned elsewhere in the forum but from what I see in the TSM there really is NO replaceable filter in the B-W tranny's. All they mention is a screen to be cleaned.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic