TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

LS to AMC rocker conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2024 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by nitro-express nitro-express wrote:

I am in the process of cobbling together a 304 or perhaps a 401. I have head issues, and the LS rocker arm swap sounds interesting. 

I am having a bit of a search issue, I could only find one reference to the spacing between valves on a stock AMC V8 head and it lists the space to be 1.950 CL of intake valve to CL of exhaust valve. This is probably the same as the rocker stud spacing. 

On an LS I found the 2.115" spacing listed for an LS3. 

I have a set of Ford 351W heads and the rockers are good on it, I may use those, but the LS idea does appeal to me as well. 

I was also searching for a 1:5 ratio rocker to tame down a fairly wild cam I have. 

n-e

LS3 has one offset rocker. LS1, LS2 and LS6 are the right ones for this swap. But these rockers are 1.7:1 so that's the wrong direction to tame your cam.
1982 Jeep CJ-7
http://theamcforum.com/forum/basically-stock-cj7_topic106501.html
https://irate4x4.com/threads/basically-stock-cj-7-update.383765/
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2024 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Is it really cheaper than just buying Harland Sharp AMC Roller Rockers?
Wink
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2024 at 7:56am

I think when this thread was started there weren't commonly available roller rockers for bridge rocker AMC heads.  The last couple of years Harland Sharp (and maybe others) have come out with rockers that are compatible.
  Your point is valid, though. 

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
BBO UK View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BBO UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2024 at 8:11am
Harland sharp now offer shaft rockers for both bridged and studed AMC heads, talk to Mike Luke ( POS#1  ) not as cheap as this Chevy LS fix, but purpose built for our heads.
Kreep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2024 at 9:10am

Maybe. A set of Summit Racing house rockers with upgraded trunions is $260. Add $25 for stands. So yes, $285 is less than $625 for the Harland Sharp rockers. But in my opinion it only makes sense if you are replacing the valves with something 0.1 to 0.2" taller to correct the geometry.

There are other advantages. The LS rocker arms are lighter over the valve, have a 1.7:1 ratio, and the slipper shoe is more reliable than a roller tip.

1982 Jeep CJ-7
http://theamcforum.com/forum/basically-stock-cj7_topic106501.html
https://irate4x4.com/threads/basically-stock-cj-7-update.383765/
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2024 at 7:22pm
Was thinking individual stud AMC HS Roller Rockers.
BBO UK View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2024 at 11:05am
Individual stud AMC HS Roller Rockers, would be an easier replacement, but cost more than the LS rockers.
The shaft system is good but expensive, but its nice to have it available for those that can use it. 
When John started this thread 10 years ago the choise was more limited and we were gratefull that he took the time to figure out how to use something cheap and high performance for our engines.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic