TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > In Memoriam
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bob Stevens, Cars & Parts Magazine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bob Stevens, Cars & Parts Magazine
    Posted: Jan/03/2014 at 9:52am
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2014/01/03/remembering-cars-partss-bob-stevens-1945-2014/
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2014 at 10:33am

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2014 at 10:38am
Never met Bob in person, but felt like I knew him well-because the way he shared his passion for cars was so welcoming.
IIRC, his first car out of college was a '69 AMX, and he always maintained his respect for AMC's, even while also owning and enjoying other marques.

My favorite piece that he wrote was when he purchased an AMX from or through Larry Mitchell out in Colorado, and then drove it home to Ohio, noting all the highlights of driving a newly acquired old car across country.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2014 at 11:21am
I remember in one of Bob's articles in Cars and Parts that he mentioned he drove his then-new 1968 AMX out to the west coast and there were no speed limits in Montana.  Consequently he let the AMX run and was doing about 100 mph for miles on end.  A Montana State Trooper approached from the rear in one of those 440 Mopar cruisers, then followed him for a few miles and finally passed him, giving him a big smile. 

Rest in peace Bob Stevens.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2014 at 11:20pm
Cry
Bob, along with Ken New were instrumental in featuring the first AMX I ever restored on the July (subscribers), August (newsstand) 1983 Cover of Cars & Parts, then included 8 more pages of B & W & color pics and coverage of my 68 AMX in that same issue. They again posted a color picture, some black and white pics of my  68 AMX in an Oct 1985 issue and an Annual 1986 issue of Cars & Parts.

I had initially sent in some pics taken in a college parking lot and Ken and Bob contacted me stating they would love to feature my AMX, but they needed better pics. They suggested I pick a better location and shoot both black and white pics and Kodachrome slides at sunrise with different exposures that they would pick thru to choose the best ones. I drove my AMX to the coast of Santa Cruz with the ocean as a back drop, set up my camera on a tri-pod in the middle of the road, used a remote trigger on the camera and took tons of shots. They chose the best ones and I'll be forever grateful for them using my AMX in their wonderful magazine.

Thanks for the memories.
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2014 at 3:45pm
Bob was a fav, I have every Cars and Parts back to 1980 And I occasionally go back and read thru them again.
RIP
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2014 at 9:46am
Bob was a great AMC lover and it was always a pleasure to see him at the meets and auctions.....he always had a fair pen in writing about all brands but we know one of his true loves was the AMC brand.  Very sad.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2014 at 9:56am
Mr. Stevens was also instrumental in my early days of AMC and gave much respect to the marque. It was good for my formative early twenties with cars to see AMC's getting love and attention in a national magazine, something that has always been scarce in our world! I especially remember the story of the state trooper ("No way he was going to think this is "reasonable and prudent!") and the cross country trip. I still have those articles somewhere. 

RIP Bob 
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2014 at 4:04pm
I meet Bob Stevens on several occasions and talked to him on the phone a couple times. He was a true car guy and very knowledgeable. It's a sad loss for all the old car hobby. But his legacy may be the return of Car& Parts magazine. My understanding is Auto Enthusiast is not doing well and C&P is suppose to be revived. RIP BOB LRDaum
LRDaum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic