TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain > Eagle and Jeep Specific drive-train issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AW-4 Is Shiftless...Except Manually

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gui67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2014 at 1:37pm
The transmission is from a 98 2WD 4.0 Comanche I think and the TCU, engine and harness from a HO Cherokee.
the VSS are different: reed switch vs VR sensor I think. and they are not mecanically interchangeable. Our TCU need the reed switch version.

I checked the Wrangler VSS: does it go to the speedometer cable location? will it give us the right signal (reed switch?)
Can we then the put the speedometer cable on the sensor?

The output thread seems smaller than the inlet.
Is the connector interchangeable with either of the other 2 VSS?

Is it possible that the TCU manages to get the speed signal for some time (the car shifts OK for the first miles) and then goes to safety mode because... ???
Thanks for your help Carnuck
gui67 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gui67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2014 at 3:49pm
I checked some info and it seems the 91 wrangler oss is a reed switch, which is OK, but 8 pulse per rev instead of 1 pulse per rev.
I have found an electronic circuit that converts the VR signal to ground pulses, so i could use that to correct the signal.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2014 at 2:43am
For the speedo cable, check out this one. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4217250&cc=1179536

Pic of a similar one, different part # because of the ATP brand.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=65688&cc=1179536
gui67 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gui67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2014 at 8:37am
Thanks for the info Carnuck I will keep it for the moment when I change the câble.

I managed to get it to work by using a bicycle speed sensor (reed switch) put on the driveshaft.(magnet on the driveshaft, reed switch screwed on the protection sheetmetal at the transmission output)
it is wired between the ground(D7) and the contact C3 on the TCU.

it is working correctly, i have just tested it: the transmission is shifting at the right speed now, kickdown is OK. I just have to figure why the TCC seems not to engage.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2014 at 6:31pm
Make sure the fuse holder in the harness isn't corroded. Mine was and caused intermittent fits of not shifting that I thought was the trans. The contacts heat up, spread open and power to the TCU is cut off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic