TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain > Eagle and Jeep Specific drive-train issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stupid question ... 4x2 Eagle ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stupid question ... 4x2 Eagle ?
    Posted: Nov/01/2013 at 8:00pm
Forgive me for my ignorance, I can t find the information.
I read from most sources that Eagle are permanent 4x4.
Far from perfect for mileage ...
On the other side, I once drove one, I also see pictures of them with a 2WD / 4WD button.
So what s the trick ? Was there a change one year ?

I d like to get one as a inter driver. Even in bad shape, it would be perfect for winter here. So not a pristine, of course :)
Thanks.

No more car :)
Maybe a 1965 Ambassador Coupé someday .. If I can find a cheap one.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2013 at 1:19pm
All years except 80/81 and a few '82s are 2wd/4wd selectable. I've had mine for sale for $2000 for some time now. I'm about to change the differentials and right front wheel bearing, then put in new front axles which will make the price go up.It's not from the rust belt though.
nali View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2013 at 1:58pm
Thanks a lot !
So a post 1982 is what I may look for.
You re a bit too far for me :)
No more car :)
Maybe a 1965 Ambassador Coupé someday .. If I can find a cheap one.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2013 at 2:28pm
Yes, the design of the transfer case changed through-out the Eagles' production. Early ones as stated above 1980, 1981 and early '82 are all full-time 4wd.  Sometime during the early production run of the 82s, they changed to the switchable type transfer case, however this style needed the vehicle to be stopped to be able to switch between 2wd & 4wd.  Later still around the '84 model year, they came out with a switchable type that could be switched "on the fly" with no need to stop the vehicle. 

There were also changes to the orientation of the transfer case. The early 80/81s hung down quite low while later ones did not.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2013 at 6:34pm
I haven't seen any change in the orientation of the transfercases (other than 4 cyl and 6 cyl which use different transmissions) The front axle hanger on the passenger's side changed from the longer one for the early non-vacuum axles to the shorter one for the vacuum axles, which stayed the same and the axle was changed for the shift on the fly models. It's the (insert 4 letter word) vacuum shift front axle that requires stopping to shift. The vacuum hoses go bad (flexing/cracking from age) and the vacuum motors get rusted up (both on the axle and tcase) and the system is too excessively complex.
   It can be modded to shift on the fly by permanently engaging the front axle and simplifying the hoses to go to only the tcase shift motor.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2014 at 10:06am
There's only like 1 mpg difference between full time 4WD and selectable 2WD. The public perception is that it makes a big difference, but in truth it doesn't. The reason 4x4s don't get the economy of a 2WD vehicle is mainly the 400 pounds or so of extra weight, and they usually have bigger tires and lower gearing. The extra drag from the 4x4 hardware is minimal.
Frank Swygert
gui67 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gui67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2015 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by carnuck carnuck wrote:

I haven't seen any change in the orientation of the transfercases (other than 4 cyl and 6 cyl which use different transmissions) The front axle hanger on the passenger's side changed from the longer one for the early non-vacuum axles to the shorter one for the vacuum axles, which stayed the same and the axle was changed for the shift on the fly models. It's the (insert 4 letter word) vacuum shift front axle that requires stopping to shift. The vacuum hoses go bad (flexing/cracking from age) and the vacuum motors get rusted up (both on the axle and tcase) and the system is too excessively complex.
   It can be modded to shift on the fly by permanently engaging the front axle and simplifying the hoses to go to only the tcase shift motor.

Hello Carnuck,
My fathers eagle has the vaccuum type transfer case.
It takes a lot of time to engage.
Would you have some technical documentation about the transfer case, the vacuum diagram?
What modifications can be done to simplify the system and make it more reliable?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2015 at 7:26pm
Chevy used a similar system on early 80s S-10 Blazers, maybe others. There used to be a cable sold to replace the vacuum shifter. Should be simple enough to rig a universal control/choke cable to the axle if you wanted to keep the disconnect feature. 
Frank Swygert
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2015 at 2:21pm
This shows the Eagle (and pretty much FSJ) vacuum front axle and tcase system. http://oljeep.com/gw/vac/eagle/EagVac.pdf

The easiest way is permanently engage the front axle and re-route the hoses like this. http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Shift_on_the_Fly_Vacuum_Set_Up

http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Main_Page#Eagle_Modifications
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2015 at 7:09am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Chevy used a similar system on early 80s S-10 Blazers, maybe others. There used to be a cable sold to replace the vacuum shifter. Should be simple enough to rig a universal control/choke cable to the axle if you wanted to keep the disconnect feature. 

AMC found so little change between 2x2 and 4wd operation as far as economy, they dropped the switch option later.
I've had full-time and switchable systems and have no trouble accepting either case.
All of mine over the years that could be switched operated just fine. My 1984 had the shift-on-the-fly system and if you were going under 50 I believe the book said, you could engage or disengage 4 wheel drive while moving, but I normally planned ahead, and there was not a lot to gain by taking it out so used the switch-on-the-fly feature not all that often. But when I did it worked great.
My mid-1982 SX/4 is stop, switch, go system. The only difference is indeed the front axle as the transfer case on all of them can be shifted moving-  it was OnLY the axle that necessitated stopping as there was no synchronization to it.
But if you lock the axle together, you can shift the t-case moving or not moving.

Worked on a ton of 'em, owned 5 different Eagles, have another in my shop now to refurbish for someone.
The shift system on my baby Eagle works perfectly.

Yes, I've seen heavy cables like those used for truck PTO controls used by rigging them through the floor to the t-case shift lever. A PTO cable is stout enough to handle the rigors of Eagle driving, mud, salt, crap, etc. and not bend or flex when shifting.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic