TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bearing fitting with Moser axles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2013 at 9:44pm
X3 - I also run outer seal with my Mosers.
mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2013 at 5:38pm
I've gone ahead and bought a pair of set9 bearings. These are not your typical cup and cone set up like I expected. These are assembled as a unit that will not come apart like the original ones. These are more like a ball bearing where the inner and outer is one part.
Therefore there is no need to worry about any preset or clearance with this set up. The Green Bearings I'm guessing are used because they fit the axle housing better. The original cup OD is 2.5625" and the SKF set9 OD is only 2.558" which means the set9 bearings are a slightly loose slip fit in the housing. Not a good look.
The Timken info states their set9's have an OD of 2.56" which would be a snug slip fit. If I'm on the right track this is the reason for the spacer. It locks the bearing in the housing stopping it from being able to spin. That's why the recommendation is to set the bearing/spacer combo up so the bearing is 0.020" to 0.080" proud of the axle house flange. The SKF bearings are going back and a Tinkem set is ordered and I now need to make a pair of spacers.
Airdrie AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2013 at 11:40pm
I'm surprised Shane recomended the green bearings as the last couple of sets I bought from him came with the timkens and spacers, maybe they have a surplus of the green bearings who knows. Really either work fine just I like the idea of the one piece cup and cone tapered roller timkens verses the green roller bearings. You will need to run the outer seal and out of the last six sets of mosers I haven't seen one that wasn't machined to use them. Maybe see if shane can send you the spacers, and yes the reason for the outer race to stick out of the housing is to keep it from turning in the housing and to ensure there's no endplay. It's frustrating when there is no consistancy to parts being offered.
mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2013 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Airdrie AMX Airdrie AMX wrote:

It's frustrating when there is no consistancy to parts being offered.

It sure is.  Timken don't offer set9's over here so now I have to fly then out from the USA.  It would be really great if someone could measure a set9 and post the OD of it.  The Timken site says 2.560".  The SKF's were 2.588"so are a little too loose in the housing. This seems strange as I would have expected all bearings from these two suppliers to me made to ISO standards.

Has anyone got any dimensions of these spacers?  That would be a big help too.  
I'm also told that the press ring needs to be machined to a thickness of 0.300" so it doesn't interfere with the inner seal.
mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2013 at 2:04pm
Bump....  Anyone?
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2013 at 9:07am
From Timken catalogue TSU type Unit Bearing (single-row tapered bearing w/ rib support ring for dual-direction axial loading). Timkens typically match their catalogue, so their set9 seems a bit loose to be a desired fit to the AMC housing end?   Also, TSU is separable as the rib support ring does come off, so does need a proper shoulder and retaining method for support but endplay is fixed, so not adjustable.

Set 9 = Timken U298 / U261L + K426897 (locking ring)

Bore 1.3780" (34.987mm)
Diameter 2.5591" (65.000mm)
Width 0.7126" (16.100mm)
Cone Width 0.8110" (20.600mm)
Cup Width Incl Rib Ring 0.6693" (17.000mm)

Cross reference:
SKF 331579B + locking collar
Chevrolet 7451959, 9428059
Holden 2812191
SAAB 8710865

AMC bearing
Timken LM48548 cone / LM48510 cup
Bore 1.3750"
Diameter 2.5625"
Width 0.7100"

Doesn't Moser use a larger shaft diameter to increase strength? If it was 1.5" diameter at the bearing, Timken LM29748 / LM29710 could work (same OD, width, larger 1.5" bore)... but just a single-row so like stock needs endplay set. Rollers are smaller cross-section so rating is a bit less than stock (2620 lb vs. 2940 lb radial; 1490 lb vs 1890 lb thrust stock).   

Hope this helps, RD.
mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2013 at 12:27am
Hey Red Devil.  Yes it does help.

My Moser Axles arrived yesterday thanks to Randy Guynn from Performance American Style.  Randy has been a huge help and without him I would have had major issues trying to get the correct axles out of Moser.  If you're a non-USA customer get in touch with him.  Glad I did.....

Anyway, now that I have the axles it's clear why the spacer is used.  It's primary job seems to be locating the bearing in the housing.  Without this spacer the bearing is held from coming out of the housing by the backing plate, as you'd expect, but there's nothing to stop it moving inboard until it hits the ridge in the end of the housing.  This would allow about 5/16"of sideways movement on one side and about 1/8"on the other side (with my housing at least) so this spacer seems to be a must.  This is with a TrueTrac head.

So again, if anyone has a drawing, pics or measurements of this spacer, please share it with us.
mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2013 at 6:18pm

Just a quick up-date.  In-case anyone else wants to know…..

Axles are in.  With the Truetrac head the only way the axles are held side to side is with the bearing spacers.  The axles ends don’t touch like they do with the original set-up (well the thrust block touches the ends).  My housing was machined on one side about 1/4” deeper than the other side at the bearing OD which allowed the bearing and axles to move in and out a lot.  The bearings are about 11/16” thick and the bore on one side was almost an inch allowing 5/16” side movement.  Not cool.

I made spacers to suit each side so the OD of the spacer butted up against the shoulder of the housing where it steps up to the smaller diameter for the inner seal.  The “Jeep” Moser instructions recommend that this spacer is sized to locate the bearing anywhere from 0.020” to 0.080” proud of the housing end.  I shot for 0.050” but this would cause the backing plate to be bent once bolted to the housing.  I ended up machining the spacers so the bearings were 0.020” proud.  The Press ring definitely needs to be machined to 0.300”.

The Timken Set9 bearing are unavailable here in New Zealand under that listing but I damaged 2 (long story but jeez!) so I shot into the local engineering wholesaler and asked for a Timken U298 bearing and got what was labelled as a Set348 which is exactly the same as the Set9 including the press ring…

Anyway the diff is complete and back in the car.  Now I just need to fabricate a new trans cross member for the new trans and I’m all go.  I hope…

njdaveskiing View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njdaveskiing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 10:50am
Does anyone know if there is a resistance spec. after installing Moser one pc. axles(CJS) in an AMC 20 differential. I've tightened the 4 bolts on each side evenly to 35 ft. lbs. with the backing plate as even as I could get it against the one pc. bearing outer race which protrudes .040/.050 from the housing flange on each side. This AMC 20 is from a 1976 CJ5 I am rebuilding. The spec. could be at either axle or the pinion universal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic