TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1971 borg warner,automatic console shift linkage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1971 borg warner,automatic console shift linkage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2018 at 1:10pm
Actually this is the rod that was on the car when it was running. I tore it apart 5 years ago and left the shifter end connected so I would not get it wrong, but now  the other end will not connect to the tranny as the bend in the rod is hitting the floorpan for some reason. 
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2018 at 1:26pm
Can you post a good picture of it, as it may have been bent when stored.

Is the tranny original? if replaced the shifter selector lever may not be for the console type linkage. There were a few differences by model and type of shifter.

I was lucky with my linkage, as a Jeep tranny had the same selector lever as the original.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2018 at 2:45pm
Honestly now that I laid it out and took a pic it looks to have been bent pretty badly. Not sure how I will figure out the correct shape now?  Pic attached.

Thanks

74 Javelin AKA Ghost
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2018 at 3:14pm
It sure looks about right.

The rod if properly located should meet pin locating holes on shifter and section arm to the tranny when both are set in park. The selector arm like i said can be wrong if tranny was swapped at one time.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2018 at 6:53am
Does anyone have a photo of one that they know is not bent that I can look at for comparison? Pretty sure this one got hung up on my garage entrance when we were pushing it in and got bent enough that it does not reach to connect the two points when both are in park. This is the original rod and original tranny for sure.

Or does anyone have one that is for a 74 javelin 304 console auto that they would sell me?

Thanks!
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic