TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC15 leaking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC15 leaking
    Posted: Jul/02/2007 at 1:24pm
Anyone have a favorite means of making sure the cover on an AMC15 stays sealed? I used RTV on it years back and it has always had a slow one drip leak. It's not getting worse. I am contemplating either a reseal with a different rtv or trying to get the proper gasket.
  Can anyone provide the correct part number for the gasket or what is the best available sealer.
   I was trying to ignore the drip as I want to swap it out before I spin a hub or otherwise trash it. The 4.0L and T5 combo has to be just a bit much for it. It already has a spun tube in the center housing. I got it that way. For some reason it has never moved farther then it was spun when I got it. But it has got to be nearing the end of it's lifespan.
   I want to install a disc brake rear axle, posi with 3:42-3:55 ratio. I just haven't been able to find the "right" one yet!
  Oh, yea, Thank you for getting this forum up and running!!!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2007 at 1:27pm
Hi mark - Have you tried a different cover? I am wondering if your isn't tweaked a little.
AMO Newsletter Editor
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2007 at 2:18pm
I've never had any extended luck with rtv. I switched to "right stuff" as a sealant. You don't have to wait for it to set up either. ready for service immediately.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2007 at 2:57pm
Try your local Chrysler dealer.  The parts department carries a line of RTV's each with a specific use.  The version specifically for automatic transmissions works like a gangbuster.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2007 at 1:17pm
Thanks!
I'll start by trying to find the "right stuff".
It's leaking too much to ignore any longer.

Edited by Wrambler - Jul/04/2007 at 1:18pm
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
Eagle Kammback View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eagle Kammback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2007 at 8:13am
I replaced the gasket on mine, and even used gasket sealer, but still won't stop leaking.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2007 at 9:40am
The right stuff is a Permatex product. It appears to be one of the new high tech sealents. I haven't had time to do anything about trying it out.
  I probably won't get to it for a while now. Too much stuff coming up at once.Unhappy
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2007 at 1:44pm

I sealed the rear on my 4-cylinder Spirit with a new gasket and Ultra Black RTV sealant.  I torqued everthing to specs and then did not add oil to the unit until the next day.  Held fine.   The gasket should be readily available.  I got mine from Kragen's here in CA.

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Gremil View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2007 at 11:07am
I've never been able to seal a differential cover with RTV Silicone and not have it slowing leak. I use that Permatex aircraft gasket sealer like VW air cooled guys use. It's the stuff at the auto parts stores that comes in a small can and the lid has a brush in it. I use a gasket if possible, and I've never had so much as a single drip even from valve covers, automatic transmisson pans or oil pans. The trick is to tighten it gently. With this stuff don't tighten it very much and that will do it.

On VW air cooled engines the seam runs down the middle of the case which is the oil pan. If this leaks, it will continue to leak even when the motor is not running sort of like the differential cover. Even without a gasket these engine cases don't leak with this stuff. I highly recommend it. I even use it for coolant sealing like water pumps or thermostat housings.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic