TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 AMX project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrimedAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 7:34pm

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 7:58pm
Bummer

Looks good tho.

Random thought:
Supposedly the Model 20's in Full Sized Jeeps have thicker axle tubes.
 I wonder if it would be worth it to start with a not-bent FSJ axle housing,
 and swap the goodies from your axle over to that(?).

Wide wheel Cherokee's and J-10's have around 62" wide axles that should be able to be cut down to AMX width,
 non-wide wheel Cherokee's and Wagoneers have 58" wide axles (similar to stock AMX width),
 but I doubt the spacing is the same to allow your shafts to work (I think the FSJ pumpkin is offset).

FSJ J-10's and FJS Waggy/Cherokee's have 6 lug on 5.5" wheel bolt patturns so their (nice 1-piece) shafts wouldn't work.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 8:21pm
Ditto... man... major bummer... and it did that with just regular radials ?  BF GoodRich ?  Wow...
amxmachine View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2020 at 6:54pm
Hows it goin
PrimedAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrimedAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2020 at 6:59pm
Pretty good. I haven't touched the car all winter. Didn't drive it much last summer. It's smoking a lot.

Just ordered some new valve stem seals, the ones on there are all brittle and crumbling inside the valve cover. I'm hoping to work on it this week then at least be able to drive it around a bit this spring.

How's everything with you? 
amxmachine View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2020 at 7:05pm
Getting back in to it a little bit give me a call sometime.
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2020 at 7:57pm
I suppose you got they rear end sorted out already?  Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
PrimedAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrimedAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2020 at 8:59pm
So the saga continues...

I’ve been putting off rebuilding the 390 for far too long. Car was smoking real bad last year. Blue smoke especially on startup. Figured I would do the valve stem seals since I popped a valve cover off and there were pieces of them broken off. I started snaking a piece of rope in and did one cylinder that way. Then I remembered I had a pressure tester. Hooked that up and I couldn’t pressurize any of the cylinders on the drivers side. 

I decided to pull the engine and with it out of the car air is blowing right past the rings. I can hear it filling up the oil pan. I have the rest of the drivetrain sorted finally, so this is just the last piece in the puzzle before bodywork.

I bought a white 68 last year, originally a 390 auto, has a 290 in it with no trans. Car is a basket case. But the engine turns over easily. I’m going to clean it up, hopefully slap a 4bbl on it, and swap it in the other car until I get the 390 back. Sounds crazy but I have plenty of time off with everything going on so I’ll give it a shot. 

Also, Andy I sent you a PM.

Edited by PrimedAMX - Apr/25/2020 at 9:06pm
PrimedAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrimedAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2020 at 9:02pm

Edited by PrimedAMX - Apr/25/2020 at 9:04pm
PrimedAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrimedAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2020 at 9:26am
More carnage, took the oil pan off the 390 to find a bunch of metal shavings...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic