TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

59 Rambler American SW rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2017 at 9:17pm
Been taking it easy for the past few weeks. getting ready for the AMO show up in Temple Tx. lucky I checked at the last minute because I thought it was in Tyler Tx. That would of been a bummer. anyways here is a exert from the (what did you do to the AMC today) This is how my trip went.  Went to the AMO event up in Temple Tx this last weekend. That was a 360 mile trip one way. I left Friday morning around 10am and once I got to Temple I was stuck in a traffic jam for around 4 hours. I was seeing so many cars pulling off or being pushed of the road do to overheating or just running out of gas. I was wondering if the old Rambler would end up like one of those and she almost did. A/c was cooling good. temp was rate between 1/4 and 1/2 and then it happened, Alternator light came on and steadily the A/C blower started slowing down, I shut everything down but new I was in a sinking ship. Wait I brought that little battery booster, the one I got for 20 bucks new from Habitat for humanity. While I was sitting in traffic I can to the back and attached it to the battery, A spark of new life. Glad I charged it before I left. That little booster saved the day and night. finally got off the highway and made it 30+ miles to my hotel. next morning started right up and made it to the show back 30+ miles to Temple, It was a good turnout and alot of nice cars, I had my eyes on a 73 Matador 2dr for 2500 but just cant see me starting another project. My American barely made it to the event and why I didn't charge the booster while at the hotel, well I forgot and I was tired, 10 hours on the road for a 6 hour trip. But at least I made it and caught up with a few friends. Hey I did win a trophy  (Best Project)  Odd but over the years I have had some nice flawless cars but I have so far won more awards with a half finished Rambler then any of my others.  Well sold a bunch of stuff. 70 AMX Jav tail lights. Matador lights 71 model. Brake conversion kit. Three models. a old book about drag racing with a AMX on the cover 3 amx pics inside book. I got offers on my old water color painting of Ed Shaver in Europe doing a wheelie with his AMX but no sell and no touch (only one of a kind). He lived a few miles from me and I miss him.  Well after show I made it to Oreileys and got my alternator and a costumer took me to his friends shop so we could transfer the pulleys around (mine is serpentine) brought me back and a few minutes I was back on the road and on my way home with cool A/C and my trophy to boot. Good time..
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2018 at 10:09am
Really great thread and a pleasure to read through WARBED!

I really had to fight the urge to hit the "thanks" button on every single post. Smile

I don't know if you do any type of writing other than what you do here,
but if you don't you should.

Thanks for posting it up!
I love the use of the AMC4,
and your on the road repairs, tuning and adventures are better than most people can do at home in their garages.

Clap

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2018 at 1:24pm
Agreed!  Really great project that I had somehow missed before.  A lot of times these projects never see completion, so kudos for sticking with it and resurrecting a cool car!
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2018 at 4:47pm
Likewise. Never saw the thread previously. Love the 2 door 59 American wagon. Super interesting and creative work. And good video visuals and narratives. What is the latest on the 59? Would love to hear more. Thanks for the thread.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2018 at 10:55pm
Well thank you very much guys. Bean doing so much to friends cars that the Rambler has just been sitting there, I did go through the differential a few weeks ago. had to replace the right axle do to it was bent.  So just went through everything, now its smooth at speed no more vibration. Rate now I'm doing a 360 rebuild for a a guy named Juan. My machine shop called me to see if I could help him out and it turns out his mechanic left the engine at the machine shop for close to a year. I'm going to start a post on the rebuild because there is so many minor concerns with the 2nd and 3rd gen engine that will ad a lot of life to the rotating assembly.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
LeviBetz View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeviBetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2018 at 1:28am
Just skimmed through, neat build! I've always liked these body styles. Cool little cruiser, I dig the 2.5.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2019 at 1:57pm
Re-read your thread today.  What a cool journey.  Any updates/photos?
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2021 at 4:42pm
will be posting some news soon. Just been real busy with friends vehicles and a engine job on a GXP Solstice. threw a rod so piecing one together and its a nightmare. almost have it done then back to American. Did sell everything AMC since I thought I'm happy with American and don't need anymore projects. So two weeks after I sold everything to a fellow AMCer I go a few towns over to work on a 78 Trans Am. Then I thought of a 70 AMX somewhere near here. So after a good amount of driving since its been like 20 or so years since I saw it. I found the house. Knock Knock and Joe was home and in a good mood. after a few minutes of talking we went around back to check out the AMX.  Been parked under a tree for some 20 years before that garages since 77. Joe installed a can and did head work and a Torker in 2000 but since then it never ran again. Do I need this YES I do. so made a deal and trailered her home. Also bought a 70 Javelin this last weekend as a parts car so once done with Solstice Ill get everything organized and see what I have.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic