TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'63 American - need some measurements

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RASelkirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '63 American - need some measurements
    Posted: Feb/16/2013 at 7:16pm
Hi All,

I've got all the suspension and axles out of my 2 door American 220, planning on going with a Chris Alston triangulated 4 link and M-II front clip. I will be relocating the axles a tad to make the wheelbase a smidge longer in the process. I measured and located my axle centerlines before removing them, but the measurements don't add up so I'd like to get 2 dimensions per side, 4 total:

Front edge of door frame to front axle centerline, L & R (hopefully the same)

Rear edge of door frame to rear axle centerline, L & R (hopefully the same)

Thanks!

Russ
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2013 at 8:57am
I dont have the measurements but going from a "door frame" I dont think is the way to go.
IIRC the TSM should have measurements and where they are taken form / to.

I also got to say have you looked into Control Freak setup? The front is a bolt in, no cutting and welding like the M-II kits. Not knowing just what you want out back other then "make the wheelbase a smidge longer in the process" give them a call and tell them what you are after and I am sure they can make the bars a little longer if you know how much longer you want.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2013 at 10:58am
  Go from a balljoint grease fitting on the front suspension ( that doesn't change with the steering) to a bolt or other definite point on the bottom of the car.
  Door adjustments could easily be 1/4 in different from one side to the other,  even the door stampings can be different.

66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
RASelkirk View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RASelkirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2013 at 5:58pm
Nevermind, it's not really important. Unhappy I'm not interested in opinions, as the suspension has been completely removed and will be replaced with newer, modern suspension. I do plan on altering the wheelbase in the process, to "unshroud" the rear wheels and center them in the fender openings. This will be done by "eye", I just wanted a rough reference dimension to see how far they'll end up from stock...

Russ
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2013 at 8:40am
To do it right you should of have the car in the air and level front/back & side/side. Then you plumb bob the stock points like where the front spring/control arms bolted to, wheel center line, etc. and mark them on the floor so you can use them for reffrance points. Then roll the wheel back to where you want in the opening and bob it & mark the floor.

Hope when done the car runs true going down the road?
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
RASelkirk View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RASelkirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2013 at 8:07pm
Thanks for the dimensions, Billy! Thumbs Up FWIW, all I was looking for was a set of base (stock) reference dimensions for comparison only. I have no intention of leaving anything stock on this car except the body shell and trim.

Russ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic