TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aluminum Head For 4.0L

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2016 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

A couple of years ago Edelbrock was looking at doing an aluminum head for the 4.0L but the project was backburnered for other projects. Well, the engineers are talking about this project again so we'll see what happens.
Edelbrock always likes to hear what people want when designing a new product.

Thanks
  Dennis 

I've not been a big fan of retrofitting a 4.0 head on an earlier 232 or 258 IF I had a perfectly good head for those engines.
Working on a budget (at the time) having a good head was worth more to me than getting a 4.0 head and then having to refurbish it too.
The 232 I just finished had a rebuild job about 10,000 miles prior to my purchasing it and a rocker shaft rather than studs. Something I would and did prefer for a short stroke motor. The 258 I had just had it totally rebuilt when the concept of putting a 4.0 head started getting popular. I had already spent the money on getting the 258 head up to snuff and could not justify doing it again to use a 4.0 used head.
My 258 has been both reliable, fast and affordable with performance equipment for it purchased used at swap meets. Something I do not see at all for 4.0's yet. And as I was going carbureted being able to use one easily was important.
But if the aluminum head was affordable, I would have considered going that route. At 3 grand it isn't.
And the need for a water after market temperature gauge would be nice to be able to deal with. Aftermarket does not use the 1/8 inch pipe thread hold located on the head just above the #6 exhaust port.
I don't know whether a tap that an aftermarket water temperature gauge would be worth the $3k it costs to purchase the head, but at least it would be a consideration.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
  Share Topic