TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AVAILABLE SOON: T-5 adapter for pre-72 sixes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsprengeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2014 at 1:31pm

Older threat - has anyone converted to a T5 with this adapter?  Are they still available?  There were several of us interested a few months back, but it just kinda died out.......

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2014 at 7:24am
If you're seriously interested you need to contact Modern Driveline NOW. He had six made, not sure if he was going to make any more. I know of two people who have actually said they bought one, but can't recall names now. 
Frank Swygert
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2014 at 8:48am
I think he eventually sold them, but I'm not 100% sure.
Call Modern drive line, He is a great guy to talk to.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2015 at 10:08pm
For anyone still interested, I emailed Modern Driveline today to see if they still produce the adapters and Bruce replied that they do.  I'll be calling them tomorrow to order one.   I'm thinking of going to a T-5 in the rebel when the 3 speed gives up.

Ray
JodysTransmissions View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodysTransmissions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2015 at 7:05am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

i realize that commercial posts/ads are not appropriate on the regular forums, but i think this instance is appropriate.

I've been working with Bruce at Modern Drivelines to produce an adapter to put a T-5 transmission behind the pre-1972 AMC six, onto the plentiful and generally unwanted early-six bellhousing. The part will be ready very soon. It's been in the works since June 2012.

it will be for T-5's with 7-1/8" input shafts. They'll have available both transmission straight-up and canted 7 degrees towards the driver versions available.

For Modern Driveline this is a gamble -- he doesn't know if he'll sell enough, or any of them to make it worth his bother. I argued that this is a unique niche, though small, the AMC six is clearly very popular and long-lived, and the pre-72's major limitation is the lack of decent transmission choices. Since cams, manifolds, carbs, ignitions etc are already available, suddenly the "old" six has real value -- you can now stick older blocks into newer cars without a downside.

The later-model people and those wanting big power will got the stroker/4.0 route, but there is a lot of low hanging fruit out there for less-than-max performance in a nice street car.

If anyone is desirous of this thing, please contact Modern Driveline and ask when it will be available.

http://www.moderndriveline.com/

The more options for our hobby the better!

The adapter being made at Modern Driveline will be for the Ford long input shaft. This Ford T5 unit can be found in the Ford Mustang V8.

What I don't understand is the 7* cantered version adapter? The 3rd generation Camaro used a cantered T5 install, but the shorter 6-5/8" input shaft won't work with the adatper?

Help me understand this application better.........
What is the AMC 6 cylinder bellhousing bolt pattern, Ford or GM?
How thick will the modern adapters be, 5/8"?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2015 at 8:00am
The old 50s-71 AMC six cylinder bell housing bolt pattern is unique to those engines. The adapter was made to use the long shaft late model V-8 and V-6 trans because it allows more thickness for the adapter AND it's easier to find, and usually cheaper. The V-6 model has a good gear range and isn't in as much demand as the V-8 models, and it's plenty strong for an AMC six.

I don't recall the thickness of the adapter. The AMC six bell is ~6.5" deep, if that helps. Don't know how far the input shaft sticks in the trans, should be 1/2-5/8".

The canted model is mainly for a custom T-5 that MD makes. IIRC it has something to do with the shifter placement. If you're using a salvage yard trans use the "straight up" version. I don't see why they don't drill one adapter for both trannys, maybe to prevent mounting a stock trans in the canted position... not sure that matters.

If you're serious about getting one call Bruce and he'll explain it all, or go back through this thread -- I think it's been mentioned.
Frank Swygert
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2015 at 12:47pm
We have an adapter and a T5 from a V6.
Not installed yet we spent a bunch of money rebuilding the 196.
Will probably do the T5 swap next year.
The shift lever faces the rear of the car in the Mustang.
It can be taken apart and the rubber bushing on the lever put on the other side to make the lever point forward. We will see if that works
in the 62 Classic sometime next year. We have bucket seats so it may be a moot point.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2015 at 1:27pm
I was mighty interested in the adaptor a few months ago.

When the Borg Warner died in my 66 American 199 it was the only option out there. Wife really wanted the automatic, because due to a medical condition, she cannot drive a standard. I rebuilt the M-35.

I agree is always neat to have more options. Hope they sell a bunch!Ollie
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2015 at 5:15pm
I bought, what I was told, was the last early AMC 6 to Ford T5 that they had on the shelf. That was about a month ago. It should be getting used hopefully in the coming few weeks. I should have the 232 freshened up, better cam/gaskets/carb, and back in the car next week. Should see the T5 I got from one of our suppliers next week as well.

The adapter is a beautiful piece. It's really too bad that it can't be seen from the top of the car, lol. I measured it when I got it, and it's around 3/4" think, if I remember correctly.
Gravedigger View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravedigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2015 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by 232jav3sp 232jav3sp wrote:

I bought, what I was told, was the last early AMC 6 to Ford T5 that they had on the shelf. That was about a month ago. It should be getting used hopefully in the coming few weeks. I should have the 232 freshened up, better cam/gaskets/carb, and back in the car next week. Should see the T5 I got from one of our suppliers next week as well.

The adapter is a beautiful piece. It's really too bad that it can't be seen from the top of the car, lol. I measured it when I got it, and it's around 3/4" think, if I remember correctly.

Do you have it on the road? I getting closer to pulling the trigger.

Edited by Gravedigger - May/19/2015 at 7:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic