TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

interior heat - none!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pathwayrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: interior heat - none!
    Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 11:18am
1966 American 440 w/199 ci straight six.
New radiator, new hoses, new 180 degree thermostat, but no interior heat. Engine temp is spot on and coolant circulates through the radiator as it should.

The TSM says to check the hoses to and from the valve on the firewall. I did and both are the same temp - too cool. Next I checked the hose leading out of the thermostat housing and it also is not hot. The radiator hose from the housing to the radiator is, but for some reason water isn't circulating through the interior heat system as far back as the thermostat housing.

I haven't pulled the valve off the firewall but it rotates as it should when the interior "Heat" lever is operated so I don't think that's the problem. 

Suggestions? Does the system need to be "burped?" If so, how is that done?
Help!
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 12:14pm
Take a hose off of the valve and actually look into the valve to see if it's opening and closing. Sometimes the lever on top can 'spin', while the valve itself is stuck.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 7:34pm
I am thinking it is the valve also. Any way to bypass that valve? Only other thing I can think of when you have it apart to check the valve or bypass it is to "flush out" the heater core by running water thru it to check it too.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 7:39pm
You can bypass the valve by clamping the hoses to a 1/2" copper pipe coupler. That makes the heat run all the time but you'll at least know if it's the valve or not.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
Pathwayrev View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pathwayrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 7:47pm
After the first response I went out and, with the help of a friend, did some checking on the valve. I knew the slide in the car goes up and down, and I knew the valve would open and close because I could do it with my hand. But with the help of my friend I learned that the lever wasn't moving the valve. It was loose enough that my hand would move it but the cable was just flexing with the lever's movement. 

Alas, in the process of discovering that the cable came loose at the lever end. I'm hoping nothing broke under there. Tomorrow I'll take the assembly out and see if it can be reattached. Then I'll remove the valve, clean and lube it thoroughly, and put it all back together. Then go from there. Because something still isn't right. I had the valve in the open position on a trip into town and back and still had no heat. 
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 10:24am
If the cable is kinked but the housing is okay, a lawn mower repair place can put a new cable in the housing.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic