TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

IVR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
gwryder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 4:54pm
Considering the current needed by the gauges, sending unit and the circuit fused at 4 amps, the 7805 is way too small for this application. Consider the specifications state that .5 amps is max and with proper heat sink, only 1.5 amps are max.
The IVR circuit is fused at 4 amps, so the power dissapated across the 7805 at that current is 14.2- 5 volts or 9.2 volts x 4 amps =37 watts. Too much for the 7805 even with a good heat sink.

I looked through my old Linear Data book and found another 5v regulator (LM323) that's rated at 3 amps and is packaged like the 7805. I'm not sure what the current of the gauge circuits is, but 3 amps might just do it. From the link below, figure 6 looks like the one. I wish I had the time to breadboard this, but if the circuit draw is less than 3 amps it will work. If its more, the application notes says it's bullet proof.

Below is a link to the chips datasheet. This chip appears to be a better solution.

John

Edited by gwryder - Jan/03/2013 at 4:56pm
John
70 AMX

Peter Jan View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by gwryder gwryder wrote:

The IVR circuit is fused at 4 amps, so the power dissapated across the 7805 at that current is 14.2- 5 volts or 9.2 volts x 4 amps =37 watts. Too much for the 7805 even with a good heat sink.

It won't be anywhere near 37 Watts, because 78xx regs are internal limited to 1 A (or 1,5 A for the CV version) and both gauges (fuel and temp) don't even draw half of that. Power dissipation will be in the region of a few Watts. Standard 78xx regs are very, very reliable and for this purpose there is no need to go for 3 A types at all. For gauge panel sanity that 3 A capacity is not such a good idea in case of a short circuit. The reg can dump 3 A over the gauge panels copper traces into the problem and no fuse will blow. Besides.. even if the circuit would draw up to let's say 2 or 3 A in normal circumstances, the more sturdy regulator has to get rid of 2-3 times more heat than a standard 1 A reg would.
I don't remember the current drawn by the gauges (it was 10 years ago), but i do remember it was nicely below the capacity of one standard reg with a small heatsink and bench test showed the regs (I used one for each gauge to spread the heat dissipation) got warm, not hot without heatsink. I have done this conversion on 4 cars ('70 AMX, '73 Javelin, '69 AMX and '71 Hornet) and it has worked perfect ever since. I can't think of any reason why replacing an IVR with a standard 78xx regulator could pose a problem. Worst case scenario would be an internal short to ground in the regulator itself, but the 4 A fuse will take care of that. I have used many thousands (yes really) of those 78xx and 79xx regulators in all packages and capacities and apart from a few that just stopped working for whatever reason, never one single unit shorted.
Calculated, measured, bench tested, proven over the years in a few cars... I say it's a good alternative for IVR's.

Edited by Peter Jan - Jan/03/2013 at 6:34pm
Mr AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 10:26pm
THANKS ALL!! Yes. Turns out to be a stuck IVR. No 323 in stock, so made a 7805 "tester". Temp gauge worked flawlessly. Hmmmm, should I purchase a solid state $$?? Now, on to dropping the gas tank and see what's up with the fuel sender
gwryder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 6:26am
"It won't be anywhere near 37 Watts, because 78xx regs are internal limited to 1 A (or 1,5 A for the CV version) and both gauges (fuel and temp) don't even draw half of that. Power dissipation will be in the region of a few Watts. Standard 78xx regs are very, very reliable and for this purpose there is no need to go for 3 A types at all. For gauge panel sanity that 3 A capacity is not such a good idea in case of a short circuit. The reg can dump 3 A over the gauge panels copper traces into the problem and no fuse will blow. Besides.. even if the circuit would draw up to let's say 2 or 3 A in normal circumstances, the more sturdy regulator has to get rid of 2-3 times more heat than a standard 1 A reg would."

Peter Jan, you're correct, the 7805 is internally current limited and that limits the power dissipation. However, the 1.5 amps is only with a really good heat sink. If I ever need to replace the IVR, I'll go with the LM323, just because it's far more capable and robust.

John

John
70 AMX

Peter Jan View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 7:24am
It's more capable and robust, but also capable of dumping more current into a problem that might occur. That's why I would advice not to use higher current types. There's plenty space to mount a TO-220 housing with decent heatsink on the gauges board. TO-3 housing 1A types exist too, they have more "meat" so to speak, they're just not so easy to mount on the gauges board, due to size and how connections are made on that housing.
A few other suggestions to make it "bullet proof" :
The choke in series on the board is best left in place, it has current limiting ability when warmed up, especially in case of a short. And to top it off, a well chosen PTC resistor in series, also takes a part of heat dissipation away from the regulator. In my opinion overkill, but it won't hurt a thing.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 9:24am
RTE makes a plug in solid state IVR(CVR) that fits the 68-70 dash cluster. Check out the IVR4

http://rt-eng.com/rte/index.php/RTE_limiter

Edited by pit crew - Jan/04/2013 at 9:26am

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 9:47am
Those RTE units are pretty slick and address a lot of the issues of short circuit protection and input voltage problems. One thing I don't see mentioned on their site is the temperature spec. Common commercial grade components are good from 0-70C. So if you're planning any winter driving, this IVR may not work. (This would also be an issue with the Radio Shack sourced 7805 linear regulator).

Industrial grade parts typically operate -40 to +85C
Automotive spec parts are typically -40 to +125C

For most of us, this isn't an issue, but there are a few who have daily drivers and may be out in freezing temperatures.

I should also note that the components don't automatically stop working once taken beyond their temperature range. It just means the manufacturer won't guarantee correct operation. The part may continue working just fine, you just don't know if it will or not.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 11:48am
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

For most of us, this isn't an issue, but there are a few who have daily drivers and may be out in freezing temperatures.

Good point, though I never saw erratic behaviour down to about -15° C (~5° F). Can't say for lower than that, because that happens here maybe once every 30 years or so.
motorheaddad View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorheaddad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2013 at 9:32am
I bought a solid state IVR from ic237. Worked great and looked professionally made. Good product, good guy
Mr AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2013 at 11:01am
Thanks Motorhead. I purchased. one from RTE. Works just fine, too...and it has a FLASHING LIGHT!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic