TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Speedometer Gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue65classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedometer Gear
    Posted: Jul/26/2007 at 12:25pm
Need a speedometer gear!!!!  Did a V8 swap,  360 engine with a TF727 tranny in a 65 Rambler Classic.  Does anyone know how I can use my original speedometer cable on the 727 trans?  In other words,  what type of gear would adapt to the cable and tranny or is there another way to hook up the speedo. Is there any donor I could look for?   Thanks for the help 
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2007 at 2:50pm
No adapters.
You need to replace the cable assembly. Generally 72 or newer AMC car or 80 vintage Jeep when they went to torqueflites and New Process transfer cases.
blue65classic View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue65classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2007 at 3:01pm
Thanks for the info,   Thumbs%20Up     know where I might find somebody who has one  Confused
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2007 at 4:31am
Jeff at Kennedy American may sell "adapter" speedometer cables.  I got one from him that goes from a '72 & up 727 to the stock '69 speedo.  He is probably at the Kenosha AMC Homecoming all weekend.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2007 at 10:06am
I'd get one for a 72-3 Matador it should screw right in.
I used a 73 Hornet cable in my American. Length was perfect and it had the correct Mopar end on it for the AMC T5.  AMC T5 uses a Chrysler style speedo gear and adapter.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
blue65classic View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue65classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2007 at 2:23pm

Do  you know if these different speedometer cables will screw into a stock 1965 Rambler speedo head.    Thanks again for all the input

poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2007 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by blue65classic blue65classic wrote:

Do  you know if these different speedometer cables will screw into a stock 1965 Rambler speedo head.    Thanks again for all the input

The speedo side of the cable is the same threaded end.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2007 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

Originally posted by blue65classic blue65classic wrote:

The speedo side of the cable is the same threaded end.

Yes, it absolutely is the same speedo head thread. I'll be doing the same part swapping when I get into the actual build of my 65 Ambassador Convertible. Well, not quite the same, I'm using a turbo 400 as it's the only alternative automaic I can get to bolt up to a 327! I'm working on the rear suspension concept now. I'm thinking truck arms on a 9" Ford....Confused
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic