TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Edelbrock STR-11 Crossram

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2014 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by 343sharpstick 343sharpstick wrote:

With the correct carbs, sure. That comment is related to tuning the 5 liter TA engine with two 600 cfm carbs. this was back in 68 when, I think the only other intake was a dual plane performer which did not have the desired high end performance.

A 390/401 will respond differently to this long runner design than would a 290/304.
There is a great youtube video of a street 390 motor with the STR-11, it made great mid-range torque.
R4B.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
Holeshot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holeshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2014 at 8:59pm
The other intake was the R4b, Performer came WAY later, after the Torker. TransAm racing was road courses, so they had to pull strongly coming out of the corners on down the straights. The STR was "supposed" to be less radical, better down low than the UltraRam, which runs great on the street with a pair of sideways mounted Holley 660 Center-Squirters. Running an UltraRam means either no hood or a glass hood with a big rectangle cut out of it. Fine with me now that glass hoods are cheaper than good original hoods. Researching what kind of cam GM used in the DZ302 was a surprizingly small thing but I don't think Penske was using the cam GM was telling new owners of 302 Zs to use with their CrossRams. I try to match the cam, intake, & exhaust to the heads. As soon as you get the heads ported, polished, & flowed, you have potential of 600+ HP & 7500-8500 RPM, depending on how much cash you want to spend. Sure is fun pissing off the guys driving off-brand porkers. I really wish I could get somebody to cast OEM looking exhaust manifolds that flowed somewhere near headers. I have this R4b that I could get extrusion-ported & make look like OEM, & a Holley 1000CFM 3bbl that just needs a tag with AMCs Group19 Holley part number...I wouldn't really want to make it look 100, 000 mile grungy, but it would be fun to pop off some 10s & open the hood that had an old looking 401, hmm...could grind the engine size off & build up 304 out of epoxy on the block & put 304 badges on...just for fun, like farm truck on Street Outlaws...
|'69 AMX BBO 390 9.88 qtr. | '71 AMX 401 w/Richmond 5-spd | 2012 Hemi Challenger R/T 6-spd w/Sidewinders | Michigan 49120|
old and rusty View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old and rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2014 at 8:38pm
An option that all threaded holes be heli-coiled in production?
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2014 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by old and rusty old and rusty wrote:

An option that all threaded holes be heli-coiled in production?

Are you asking if that can be done or ?
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2015 at 11:30am
I just talked to Big Mike at Patriot Racing and he still has about a dozen of the re-introduced STR-11 Cross Ram intakes for sale.

Everyone that added their name to the Pre-order list was notified (some twice) but not everyone that had their name on the list responded to the notifications that Mike sent out. Due to the lack of interest Mike doesn't plan to make another run of these manifolds, so if you want one now is the time to get it before they are all gone.

The current price for the re-introduced STR-11 from Patriot Racing is $1,495.00.

Dennis

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
SANCAPJJ View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SANCAPJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2015 at 11:44am
For the record - I had no problems with communication or delivery. I have observed criticism from others - but my experience was perfect. The notifications were received and the shipping went off without any issues. Thanks again for producing this product - can't wait to install it on the SC Rambler project. - JJ
rockwreck View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockwreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2023 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Holeshot Holeshot wrote:

Dang Android curse - lost te cursor above. Anyway, it was running 9-1 compression w/reverse domed pistons & pinged SO bad w/o race gas. The piston to head clearance was like .160, it will now be .045". New H beam rods w 7/16 ARP 2000 capscrews, ARP main & head studs, and a cam much larger than the 292 they were running in it. Is there any reason why I am not able to post pics here? Is it a toggle I or the moderator have to clik, or more of tge Android curse? I was a programmer/analyst in the winters & out of the Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha shop, I I'll be damned if I can post a live link or upload a photo here. Anyway, the STRs will be running 660 Center Sqiuirters, to those who don't know these carbs, all 4 butterflies open exactly 1-1 in the center at the same rate as the acc pump shoots fuel right into the center. I have been studying crossram pics for over a decade, lots were using these, very identifyable by 1-1 linkage. Next unknown: Why did the Hemi run their carbs sideways, why did Chevy 302 run one each way? Oh, one other thing about my 390, I shifted at 7200 (with a broken vavespring, ooops), my new cam peaks at 7800 with a 8400 redline. And I have a set of new SS 1.7-1 rockers tha will likely go on the 401 due to that cam being only something like .580 lift & around 7200 redline. Naturally I have titanium retainers & restricted lifter oil supply on the roller cam motor. And NOS Crane roller lifters yet to be determined if I'll have the oiling issue, still a way to go for mockup. That 390 cam is a solid lifter cam & I'll be running the tool steel lifters with the oiling orifice directly onto the lobe. I hope I haven't made too many typos, I haven't seen my cursor since the Chevy 302 sentence. 
DaleWilch

Not wanting to hack on my manifold, 1 of these on each carb spacer:

The Blower Shop
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
  Share Topic