TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC emissions air tubes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 5:00am
Not sure if your still looking for them. I was at a loss looking for a diverter valve for my 73 emissions setup and found images online of like 6 of them that was a 5 year old image and low an behold I found the person that posted it and they happen to be a member of the AMC forum. I contacted him and he had 2 left and was willing to sell one to me for like 75 dollars.

Maybe try to look up images of those air tubes and just start clicking on the images . you may find something or someone that has them 

tom999q View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2019 at 11:36pm
Hi All, I'm digging up an old thread here. I'm looking for the emissions system for a 1971 Hornet V8 without power brakes (four tubes versus three tubes on the drivers side). I already have the air pump, just need the air tubes, hoses, valves, etc., if anyone has a used set they'd like to sell. 
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2019 at 4:11am
Originally posted by tom999q tom999q wrote:

Hi All, I'm digging up an old thread here. I'm looking for the emissions system for a 1971 Hornet V8 without power brakes (four tubes versus three tubes on the drivers side). I already have the air pump, just need the air tubes, hoses, valves, etc., if anyone has a used set they'd like to sell. 
put a post in the wanted section. likely it'll get seen sooner
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
tom999q View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2019 at 10:49pm
Ok thanks. 
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 8:51pm
I'm not familiar with the '71 tubes.  Do they have the threaded check valves on the tubes or the brazed check valves?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 10:25pm
I think the brazed check valves
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2019 at 12:23am
71 tubes are the same as 69/70 capped/brazed valve tubes. 4 tubes per side regardless of brakes.
AMO Newsletter Editor
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2019 at 9:16am
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

71 tubes are the same as 69/70 capped/brazed valve tubes. 4 tubes per side regardless of brakes.

Ian, sometime when you have a lot of free time and nothing to do......

could you go through the various configurations of the smog tubes?  This topic seems to come up more frequently and I think a listing might be of value.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 9:00pm
Well if you can't find anything i believe you could always go with the newer style tubes/check valves and Diverter valve since they are available last time i checked .. I believe the "banjo" bolts are also.

I almost had to use a 1974 and up diverter valve on my 73 amc system because the older ones are not remade and hard to find. I would have done that and just think of it as an upgrade but still a working air pump system.

Anyway you may have to use the newer air tubes and newer 74 and up diverter so  yes it will be one deleted tube connection on the driver side engine rear but at least you can have the air pump system working.
It probably is the only way to go if you want the air pump system on your 71 hornet to function.
You can get the hoses from american parts depot last time i checked and also the tubes and banjo bolts

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 5:42am
As a bit of info... my late 73 with power brakes had 3 tubes, and braized valve. Though the original owner had taken it to a California dealer early in its life, for smog setup. They moved from Michigan to the bay area in the later half of 73. Donno if the dealer had old stock on the tubes or not. But when I took them off in 87, they were a bit rusty along the large tube and vavle. Plus them air injection bolts can twist and break off the ends from the feeder tubes fairly easy, so care must be done to hold the mounting ends in place while cracking the bolts.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic