TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 AMX 1/4 PANEL PATCH PANELS/ INSTALLATION

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE  S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 AMX 1/4 PANEL PATCH PANELS/ INSTALLATION
    Posted: Apr/30/2008 at 7:54am
My 68 AMX has rusted out lower rear quarters (as most do).I plan on purchasing replacement patch panels to repair this problem.Several vendors sell these panels. Are they all selling the same product or are some better than others? I have been hearing that the new high tech way to install these panels is by glueing them on.Does anyone have any experience in this? Is glueing the way to go or should I weld them on as I had planned? I noticed that most of the replacement panels extend above the body crease line. My rust out problem is below the crease line.Is it better to trim the panel so that my weld / glue joint is below the crease line? Or is it better to use the entire panel and make the joint above the crease line? Thanks for your input

Joe
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2008 at 8:27am
With patch in place. I've got a lot more photos somewhere....... Mine just had pin-holes but that pocket behind the quarter, down the sides of the trunk, was full of dirt, dust and crud, just waiting to rot it out completely.

JOE S View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE  S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2008 at 9:17am
Thanks By billd for the pix.. I see you have welded in your panels.. Nice job..Unfortunately mine is a New Jersey car and my the rust out is more extensive.When I finally cut out the rusty metal I will probably not get to good solid metal until Iam within a inch or so of the body crease line..That is why I questioned whether there is any advantage to making the joint below the crease line or use the entire panel and make the joint above the crease..

Joe
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2008 at 9:21am
How good is your body work? (or that of whoever is doing it)
Above any "issues" will reflect the light differently. Below may be less noticed if there is an imperfection or wave, etc.  IMO, it's easier to notice things above because of the way the light reflects, either sun or man-made light.
May depend on how you decide to "attach" them, how much work is involved going above that body line, etc.

But either way, be really sure to get rid of the rusty material, and treat what's left.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2008 at 3:22pm
If you're staying below the crown line, a good welder can easily make an invisible patch. Even better, it can been made out of sheet steel - no need for a custom patch panel.

Gluing does work. I (well, a buddy did) glued a patch onto the the cab corner of my pickup several years ago and it still holds. Yes, I'm in a rust belt, so it has been salted for several winters. The difference between welding and gluing is the joint. For welding, you want a butt joint, for gluing you want a lap joint.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
70MarkDonohue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70MarkDonohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2008 at 9:03pm
I got these at the Ohio AMO show from Kennedy before he raise the price. I put primer on them.

68-69 AMX

Edited by 70MarkDonohue - Apr/30/2008 at 9:08pm
FamlyTradition View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamlyTradition Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2008 at 9:27pm
I've seen the glue fail. But all he did was glue it on, no spot welds any where for support. The way we do them (Quarter panels) at work is to glue the center areas but spot weld all the corners and the butt edge( the top) is welded solid.
65 Rambler Classic 550 & 660
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic