TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1965 327 carb?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1965 327 carb?
    Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 9:52pm
Any alternatives for a carb for the 327.running the stock holley now.;...id like to upgrade to a newer model,however, it has the flashomatic with the trans cable{65}..any other carbs have this provision?
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2012 at 1:33am
You might be able to rig the cable up to work with the setup on the newer carburetors. Most new ones have the ford style cable hookup.

If your carb is the 2bbl Holley, get rid of it ASAP, I hate those things.  You will never get the choke set right no matter what you do.

If it is the factory 4bbl Holley, then why replace it? It's a standard vacuum secondary Holley 4150, one of the most famous performance carburetors ever made.  Plus it has already been jetted for your engine, unlike a new carb.  I believe they were somewhere around 500 CFM, just about right for a 327. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2012 at 9:37am
Had it rebuilt.still having issues...engine pretty much stock.pertronix, little better cam,true duals.I'm gonna pull plugs and see what they look like.
Rebel 327 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel 327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2012 at 7:51pm
Had what rebuilt--2 bbl or 4 bbl.
If 2 bbl, the acceleration pump is the issue, from what I have experienced.  It is likely an old kit with old material that does not hold up to todays fuel mix.  If 4 bbl, they are easy to work on and are jetted very conservatively. 
I am getting a couple cams ground now.  Last one was .454 lift and 217 degrees duration at .050".  Let me know and I can get one ground for you.
Rebel 327 4-speed
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2012 at 3:28pm
Just DO NOT run it without the cable hooked up! It's a TV (throttle valve) cable that controls internal pressure. If you must drive it without the cable hooked up you will have to lock the cable in place just before it kicks down into passing gear (a secondary function). This means the cable should be locked in position about 3/4 of the way in. How is up to you. What this does is set the trans at about 80-90% internal pressure. It will shift hard. I don't recommend driving it like this a lot, but it shouldn't hurt the transmission... depending on how hard it's shifting. Hard shifts can be rough on the servos. 
Frank Swygert
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2012 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Rebel 327 Rebel 327 wrote:

Had what rebuilt--2 bbl or 4 bbl.
If 2 bbl, the acceleration pump is the issue, from what I have experienced.  It is likely an old kit with old material that does not hold up to todays fuel mix.  If 4 bbl, they are easy to work on and are jetted very conservatively. 
I am getting a couple cams ground now.  Last one was .454 lift and 217 degrees duration at .050".  Let me know and I can get one ground for you.
rebel, its a 4bbl...might need jetting.supposed to have a reground custom cam in it, sounds stock though.pm me your # again...thanks
Rebel 327 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel 327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2012 at 9:15pm
pm sent
Rebel 327 4-speed
Kamikazi02 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kamikazi02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 4:42am
Frank is correct the last owner of my Car had the cable disconnected and it trashed the tranny after about 5 K, the other issue is you have to modify almost all newer carbs to make the cable work its a real pain in the A$$.. I finaly found the correct carb at http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1318351,parttype,5904,a,Ad%2BCode%2Bwww.google.com%2B  
 I don't have my other computer with the data on it but I bolted on and the linkage was correct. I  Went to the Holley site and bought the replacement but it was set up for the Fords and the Linkage was totally different and was easy and cheaper to buy a correct one than modify the Holley.   

Once my car arrives I can get the detail for you.  Biggest thing is making sure the cable works correctly if not the passing gear will not work and the hydraulics in the tranny will screw up.

Best of Luck 

Todd 
Todd D Weingeroff
1965 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible, AC/PS/Auto 327 Pics located http://photobucket.com/65Convert770
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic