TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Meet Gizmo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2016 at 9:29am
I remember, back in the day, the problems with the Ford starting system (which AMC also used). The car would run for months with no problem until the day you try to start the car and all you hear is a click from the solenoid, usually followed by loss of cabin lights. It stranded my parents one time, it stranded my sister-in-law one time. It stranded me in the Rambler one time (I always kept a tool kit in the trunk after that).

The fix was to clean the battery terminals and the high current terminals at the solenoid. Then the car would be good for another (undetermined) period of time.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 5:51pm
I finally found the electrical gremlin in Gizmo the Gremlin.  This week I finally had it with the battery going dead when the car sat.  I was getting a small current draw (just milliamps sometimes) and sometime more than that.   The tail and stop lights were erratic too so I chased the short to the rear wiring harness.  I checked everything and then decided to inspect the harness all the way to the back of the car.  I found that I had drilled one interior screw through the harness causing three separate bare wires to short intermittently.  I also pulled the instrument cluster for the umpteenth time and tested all the lamps and replaced most of them.  Now all the lights work throughout the car and there is no power drain when the ignition, etc. is off.  I still need to add the stripes after getting a little dent repaired on the right front fender.  It's base/clear and I'm going to let a body shop do it.  I have no experience with 2-stage paint.   I'm excited about driving the car again.  Chased rattles today.  I did post a question on the forum about that too.  

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 6:50pm
Gizmo looks great!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
blackbetty View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackbetty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2017 at 3:25am
It does look great! Good job on your project.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2017 at 9:21pm
Gizmo went to his first car show (Rambler Club meet) a week ago Saturday.  His temp and fuel gauges have been intermittently running too high (pegged on the high side) but my infrared thermometer said the temps were reasonable if on the high side.  I decided to make the 30 mile drive to the show.  I removed the radiator and thermostat when I got home.  The radiator is the little narrow 232 (no PS, No AC) basic radiator, one of the smallest I think that AMC ever used.  I found the thermostat stuck in the full open position and replaced it with a new one.  I am having the brackets swapped on a larger Blackstone radiator from a Hornet so it will fit the Gremlin.  I have been fighting intermittent problems with the gauges reading high.  The TSM gives too possible causes, bad grounds to or in the instrument cluster and a bad temp gauge (which has the constant voltage regulator built in).  I had replaced the temp gauge with a new one previously.  So I checked the ground circuit to the cluster and checked for continuity on the ground circuits in the cluster.  I cleaned up all the exposed circuit tracings where the lamp sockets and where any other contacts are made.  I have had the cluster out so many times I can do it in my sleep.  Today after cleaning it up I must have bumped the little noise suppressor pins (I have a radio.) and created an open circuit from the bent pins.  No voltage to the lamps.   Frustrating.  I soldered the pins and reinstalled the cluster.  Now the gauges and lamps all work.  What a battle.  Next I need to hook up the tach but I will try to do it with the cluster in the car.   

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2017 at 9:54pm
Smile
Here's Gizmo at the show next to Jacqueline's Hornet and Shelby's Eagle.

37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 7:55am
Thumbs Up

Lookin Good !
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic