TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Steering Stiffness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdlbldrnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Stiffness
    Posted: Jul/22/2007 at 2:25am
This problem is on an 81 Concord 2 door. The steering seems to get stiff and or tight when turning either direction. When driving in a straight line, after making a turn, it feels like the wheel is locked or stiff , mostly to the left. I can force it left and right to sort of clear out the stiffness and then it's fine again. Doesn't do it all the time but most of the time. I have changed out the Power Steering pump 3 times with other used ones, the complete front end has been rebuilt (with the exception of the idler arms which they tell me are fine.) It has been realigned twice. None of these repairs has made any difference. I wonder if this problem could be happening in the steering box? Is there anything a person can test to find out? This car has 64K miles on it or so the odometer says. After all I have had to do with this problem I wonder.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2007 at 2:58am
That's most likely where your problem is - the steering box. (although it would be good to run pressure tests, to rule out the pump, internal leaks in the sector could cause loss of pressure, thus increased effort, too)
Make sure the belt is good, not slipping under load and not glazed. Turning, especially quick turns, increases the load and a marginal belt can slip, causing similar symptoms.
The idler arm would lead to sloppiness, not hard turning unless there was a serious problem.
The sector on the other hand, if there's an issue there, it's typically when turning left or right or both. There are adjustments, at least two as I recall - worm bearing preload and pitman shaft over-center drag torque.
You have to have the steering box removed for this work.
I STRONGLY suggest getting the appropriate pages from a TSM or visiting the AMC Eagle Nest as they have some TSM pages online that should be the same since your car and the Eagle share many of the same parts.
Get IowaEagle involved, Doug Shepard, if you end up there.
The basics are the same, so perhaps someone else who has done similar on their car can help. I've honestly dealt very little with the steering pumps and sectors - by choice, mostly.
Kirkwood here has Concords, IowaEagle has a concord, so let's see what others come up with.

Oh, welcome to the forum! I figured out model builder, but the last part has me........
mdlbldrnt View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdlbldrnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2007 at 3:08am
Thanks for that information. Good stuff. I have another steering sector to use so may just do the swap since it would have to come off anyway. I wonder what makes one of those go bad?
Model builder is correct and nut is the rest.
Thanks again
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2007 at 4:11am
If anyone's ever tried to adjust the preload bolt on top of the steering box in the hope to compensate for worn parts, you can have the same problem.
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by mdlbldrnt mdlbldrnt wrote:

I wonder if this problem could be happening in the steering box? Is there anything a person can test to find out? This car has 64K miles on it or so the odometer says. After all I have had to do with this problem I wonder.

Stuff doesn't last for ever. Your car is 26+ years old at this point so you're going to have stuff fail from age. Rebuilt steering boxes are not terribly expensive and if you want a faster ratio box, you can use a Camaro or Firebird box (GM switched to metric fittings some time in the late 80's, those will work but you'll need customer hoses). I took a look in the service manual for my El Camino (same box) and the first thing it says for your symptoms is that it's a possible internal leak in the pump or steering gear box.

When you replace the gear, you will need to rebuild the pump (or get a rebuilt one) to maintain the warrenty on it and you should also replace the hoses and rag joint (properly known as a steering coupler, the one for GM applications is the one you want).

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
mdlbldrnt View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdlbldrnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 1:35pm
Thanks Matt,
I will have to look into that. I do have another box from an 80 concord I parted out. I think my first step will be to do a swap. I have already tried 3 power steering pumps and i am quite sure none of those have any issues.
Thanks for the post.
Randy
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2007 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

If anyone's ever tried to adjust the preload bolt on top of the steering box in the hope to compensate for worn parts, you can have the same problem.

Absolutely................Had a motorhome that had problems with the steering box...........above was what happened.Ouch
javelinjeff View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinjeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2007 at 5:21am
poormansMACHINE said what most likely has happened,someone probably tightened the adjuster screw on the top of the steering box all the way trying to compensate for worn stuff causing the steering box to bind up-seen this MANY times in the front end business
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2007 at 5:23am
Also check the pressure hose. Is it
the correct one for your application? Assuming it doesn't leak or isn't cracked make sure it isn't binding or pinching when you are turning the wheel. if it's too long and hangs up between frame and linkage you'll sometimes get similar stiffness( actual loss of pressure to the box actuator.
steve

Edited by Reagam - Jul/29/2007 at 5:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic