TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 401 starter problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vistamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vistamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 11:29am
Engine size is cast on block at mount look or feel where red arrow show location.
Red circles show where dowls need to be. Dowels + plate +repaired bellhousing are needed to take strain off bell housing.

Edited by Vistamc - Feb/12/2012 at 11:32am
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 12:14pm
I have a sneaking suspicion 360 is cast there. The external brackets, etc are '77 up and the harmonic balancer weight looks like 360 and not 401. I know AMC didn't put 4 speeds with the 401 stock in FSJs either. (it's a mix and match setup though)
jjubinsky View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjubinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 1:00pm
I verified its stamped 401 before I started posting. The M715 started life as a military truck with a six cyl. This truck was a weapons carrier. Someone put the 401 in and an adaptor to the orig T98 trans. Power steering and power brakes as well. The truck had been parked since 1984 when I got it. Had it running and driving first day I had it home. I have not registerd it for the road yet, just driven around the property. Just going thru and fixing things. Hope to take it out to the desert and do some wheeling before long. Pic of the dash. The toggles worked the weapons systems. Now they work toolbox lights, backup, bed lights, fuel pump, black out lights etc.
The flywheel is stamped 3197219   A225   W-2.  Stamp on back of block F 7. If this means anything.
Vistamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vistamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 1:29pm
On a different tangent, If the pics of the truck where taken last week I want to move there...leaves on trees and green grass. Though this winter has been real mild I still have a real bad cold from not going outside much. Everything stops as soon as freeze up gets here a little SAD too. My northern European roots get hit hard with the winter.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 1:58pm

It will be cast in big numbers and not stamped. Too bad you're so far from Seattle. The T86 probably won't last long with the 401 if you use it as a real truck. T18 would be the way to go.

As for the color, I worked on waaayy too many rigs that color. Never had good luck with any that I drove (nothing like the starter going when you're under fire)

jjubinsky View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjubinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 4:50pm
Its cold out there today. It only got up to 60. sorry for rubbing it in. Yeah,  the pics of Europe are unreal. And I got a couple of leads on parts from the IFSJA forum.
Jav69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jav69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2017 at 7:06pm
I had the same issue. I bought a 343 and it did not have the block plate. I bought one and put it in. It lines up everything from the starter the bell housing and torque converter. Of you do not have one get one. It will resolve all your starter issues
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2017 at 11:57pm
I should have an extra block plate lying around if you still need one. It’s an aluminum one and one corner is bent up a bit, but easily straightened out. It’s an automatic version with the inspection hole to get at torque converter bolts through. It’ll work just fine in your application. Let me know. I’m in Oceanside. I like eating at Rosa’s, so I have an excuse to drive to Temecula.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic